ADVERTISEMENT

Years to look at: 1984, 87, 1993, 98, 2001, 04, 07...

detroitjohn

All-American
Dec 20, 2001
West Detroit
Years following really good UM teams that were highly ranked, high achieving, often sniffing or winning championships, and filled with lots of AA and All B10 players, just like this year's team followed a team that was 3 pts away from the playoffs. This side of Bama, OSU, and Clemson (maybe), every other college football program goes through tough years following the loss of a lot of quality talent (see Sparty last year for an extreme example).

Our OL, QBs, and WRs, the three biggest problem units this year, will be much more experienced and ready to perform on a higher level. That our defense did not drop off like our offense is a testament truly to the talent levels on that side that Hoke left behind (Hurst, Winovich, and McCray; not so much on offense) and the outstanding coordinator we have in Don Brown.

Next year, despite the schedule, will be much better. We might not be quite back on track for a B10 championship or playoff contention, but I'm very confident the offense will be better based on recruited talent and experience gained this year.

I hope so and time will tell us all we need to know.JH better be ready to take a pay cut if the next season turns out as ugly as this one was. Get Tyrone back to coach rbs and maybe he could talk Steve Huthinson to come back and show OL how to block somebody.

Reactions: DrCorona
I hope so and time will tell us all we need to know.JH better be ready to take a pay cut if the next season turns out as ugly as this one was. Get Tyrone back to coach rbs and maybe he could talk Steve Huthinson to come back and show OL how to block somebody.
Listening to Doug Skene, All Big 10 guard for UM in the 1990s, you might be on to something re. Hutchinson. Skene is seriously pissed regarding the technique and toughness of UM linemen. Letting your QB get driven into the ground like Peters vs Wisconsin and then standing there while their guy does a push-up on him is unacceptable. Frey probably isn't the last guy connected with coaching the OL that has a short future here.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT