ADVERTISEMENT

Would Harbaugh jump to NFL for 10 million per year?

KnightSlayer

Sep 8, 2014
CBS sports says the Rams owner is one of the richest owners in the NFL and he's looking to make a splash with the next head coach.

Do you think Harbaugh would make a move for 10 mil per year? What other coaches would make as big a splash as Harbaugh?

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/j...e-rams-is-reportedly-a-very-real-possibility/

From the article.

"By the way, Albert Breer on the way out said that Jim Harbaugh to the Rams rumor is a very real thing," Cowherd said at the end of Breer's segment.

For one, Kroenke is one of the NFL's richest owners, so he is going to be able to throw as much money as he needs to at whichever coaching candidate he decides to go after. For an owner who has everything riding on a new stadium set to open in 2019, $10 million a year might not be out of the question.

Definitely it includes a lifetime supply of whole milk. He gone then, he really gone.

I love whole milk. My wife is thinking of getting me a cow for Christmas.

Seriously though, I don't follow the NFL very closely. Are there other big name coaches that would make as big a splash as hiring Harbaugh?

He makes $9M at Michigan with lower state taxes then CA. Unless he really wants to be back in California, I see no reason he moves or leaves for the Rams. They would have to give him a 4-year/$50M deal with all paid even if he gets fired or bored for him to leave. At Michigan he has a very long leash and he knows he can get 8-10 wins based on how he is recruiting. In the NFL it's a different story because you need a owner willing to pay to get the right players.
I can see JH leave in 2 years - he has never stayed at a coaching gig for more then 4 years :)

He makes $9M at Michigan with lower state taxes then CA. Unless he really wants to be back in California, I see no reason he moves or leaves for the Rams. They would have to give him a 4-year/$50M deal with all paid even if he gets fired or bored for him to leave. At Michigan he has a very long leash and he knows he can get 8-10 wins based on how he is recruiting. In the NFL it's a different story because you need a owner willing to pay to get the right players.
I can see JH leave in 2 years - he has never stayed at a coaching gig for more then 4 years :)
I own three cows I know cows Knight isn't ready trust me. If Jimmy leaves in the next five years I'll give knight one free of charge

I love whole milk. My wife is thinking of getting me a cow for Christmas.

Seriously though, I don't follow the NFL very closely. Are there other big name coaches that would make as big a splash as hiring Harbaugh?

Probably not.

Which is why his name will surface with every new NFL coaching vacancy.

The fact he moved his parents to his neighborhood in A2 and wants his kids to all go through the same elementary school means we're going to see a lot of these Breer-drinkin' reports the next few years.

Go Blue. Always.

Reactions: wolve66
I think if or when Harbaugh goes back to the NFL it's because in comparing all the options he feels the move will be best for him. So I don't think that because he moved his parents to AA or whether he likes his kids being in the same elementary school ends up being a major factor. I don't even think that winning a National Championship or that he loves the Wolverines would stop him if he thought the NFL job was too good to pass up. I do doubt very much however that taking over the Rams job would be considered what's best for him at the moment.

The owner sucks. The rams suck (he could somewhat fix that) and it's not much more money. This is like a dream job. He's getting a raise if he ever wins a national championship

If it's all about the money. Michigan will pay up. Unless miles says I'll come

I think if or when Harbaugh goes back to the NFL it's because in comparing all the options he feels the move will be best for him. So I don't think that because he moved his parents to AA or whether he likes his kids being in the same elementary school ends up being a major factor. I don't even think that winning a National Championship or that he loves the Wolverines would stop him if he thought the NFL job was too good to pass up. I do doubt very much however that taking over the Rams job would be considered what's best for him at the moment.

I think... You're wayyyyy wrong.

Dream away, Bucky.

Argue with the facts if you must.

Family and marriage wise, he's not fly-by-night like Urban Meyer.

Go Blue. Always.

You should read a little more about Harbaugh, go try out John U Bacon's blog or his book on Harbaugh's return as a starter, your assumptions are largely incorrect and run cross-grain to what those closest to him have said.

You should read a little more about Harbaugh, go try out John U Bacon's blog or his book on Harbaugh's return as a starter, your assumptions are largely incorrect and run cross-grain to what those closest to him have said.

The writer that launched the story about the Rams being a "real possibility" was Albert Breer.

A hard-up-for-clicks hack and a Buckeye grad. Goes on with Cowherd, has exactly sweet F A to actually report, and labels JH to the Rams as a real possibility.

There are other Buckeyes serving up opinions on Harbaugh and the NFL, opinions with the approximate value of the average steamer.

A slew of reporters were scraping egg off their face after Harbaugh chose Michigan to begin with.

I think some actually get it now, some might not ever get it, and some will know better but serve up shit anyway.

I see you, Albert Breer.

Go Blue. Always.

Dream away, Bucky.

Go Blue. Always.

Exactly. Always comical to get a clueless opinion from an o$u fan on this topic, however.

Be serious here. If anything was learned in the NFL, job stability is certainly not part of the game.

SF isn't the only place where you can take your team to the highest level, and then be gone within one season. To go back to that, is insane, unless you are talking some serious money- as in 10-20 years of UM salary in 5.

Unless there are multiple sub 8 or 9 wins in a row without any injury problems, Harbaugh is going to get a very long leash in Ann Arbor. Which is to say, even if he's not winning national championships every couple of years- as long as it's as good as Bo- he can plan to retire here without too much pressure.

If he steps out of that kind of job security for a tiny increase of pay- well, I think that would be stupid.

Dream away, Bucky.

Go Blue. Always.

Ok, so if a situation is better for him he won't leave? I think that you are the one dreaming away. Every coach whether it is Harbaugh or Meyer will do what they feel is best for them or their family. Now what is better in the NFL than what Harbaugh at Michigan will have to be a lot, and it may never happen, but he isn't going to give up a situation he thinks is better than what he has now because he hasn't beaten OSU yet. Lol.

Maybe he would pass up a perfect situation to keep Blue_note and PharmD happy. Ha ha.

Ok, so if a situation is better for him he won't leave? I think that you are the one dreaming away. Every coach whether it is Harbaugh or Meyer will do what they feel is best for them or their family. Now what is better in the NFL than what Harbaugh at Michigan will have to be a lot, and it may never happen, but he isn't going to give up a situation he thinks is better than what he has now because he hasn't beaten OSU yet. Lol.

Maybe he would pass up a perfect situation to keep Blue_note and PharmD happy. Ha ha.

There will be no good changes for him in the near future

Unless Green Bay or the pats offer him a job

What situation is better for him?

He is exactly where he wanted to be. That's what you don't get. (Too thick?)

He's at his alma mater hauling in NFL-style dough and has the control of the program he wants and the ear of the AD.

That's why he moved his parents to A2, it's called settling down for a long haul.

The school his kids attend is the same one he attended, and he wants them all to complete their elementary education there.

You dismiss that stuff out of sheer ignorance, but feel free.

Now, you can resume coming off like a dumbass Buckeye fan, your norm.

Go Blue. Always.

Reactions: detroitjohn

You contradicted yourself in the same thread

Harbaugh doesn't have 7 kids because he doesn't like his family. He didn't move his parents to Ann Arbor because they follow him around the country. He's going to do right by his family, and right now, Ann Arbor is what's right. The NFL will be there every year, and people will connect him with jobs every year, but I'm not sure you grasp how much he LOVES coaching college football again. Teaching and recruiting young men are things that he finds great joy in. Between loving college football and having a fantastic situation for his family, he's not going anywhere for the foreseeable future.

There is virtually no situation in the NFL that would be better for him. He has a team that is going to contend at Michigan. He makes $1M more then the highest paid coach in the NFL - yep, not a typo. He has a very very long leash at Michigan. He could basically win 9 games a year for the next 5 years and still be fine.
There is no job in the NFL, unless you go to Seattle which has a stacked team already. Anywhere else in the NFL he goes to, he will have to rebuild from scratch. Dallas and Seattle are really the only viable jobs and neither are about to get rid of their coaches anytime soon.

This is a pure OSU rumor mill to try to scare recruits to pick OSU...brilliant move personally. This is what makes recruiting fun - people jockeying against each other.

Nobody mentioned that the NFL sucks, and that College Football is a much better game. He has one of the best gigs in all of football. He's not going anywhere. Kind of sad, that we're even discussing this.

Reactions: alablue
There is virtually no situation in the NFL that would be better for him. He has a team that is going to contend at Michigan. He makes $1M more then the highest paid coach in the NFL - yep, not a typo. He has a very very long leash at Michigan. He could basically win 9 games a year for the next 5 years and still be fine.
There is no job in the NFL, unless you go to Seattle which has a stacked team already. Anywhere else in the NFL he goes to, he will have to rebuild from scratch. Dallas and Seattle are really the only viable jobs and neither are about to get rid of their coaches anytime soon.

This is a pure OSU rumor mill to try to scare recruits to pick OSU...brilliant move personally. This is what makes recruiting fun - people jockeying against each other.

You pretty much nailed it.

The "reports" of Jim's interest in the NFL are self-serving and baseless.

They're about as accurate as the "reports" (opinions) he'd stay in the NFL after leaving SF.

Albert Breer, the Buckeye Fan Boy Reporter, had the scoop, though, lol.

Scoop of jack squat. There will certainly be more Breer-type "reporting" about Harbaugh.

It is what it is.

Go Blue. Always.

Pleased to know what I and other OSU fans say have such influence on Michigan recruits, lol. I didn't say that Harbaugh would leave for the Rams, as a matter of fact I said it wasn't a good enough situation for him to do so. I don't even know if there is a situation currently good enough for him to leave or if there ever will be.

What I said is that if he ever left it would be because there was what he felt was a better situation. It is difficult to argue with those of you who know Harbaugh personally and have had him tell you that there is no situation in this or any parallel universe in which there could be a better situation than at Michigan.

Pleased to know what I and other OSU fans say have such influence on Michigan recruits, lol. I didn't say that Harbaugh would leave for the Rams, as a matter of fact I said it wasn't a good enough situation for him to do so. I don't even know if there is a situation currently good enough for him to leave or if there ever will be.

What I said is that if he ever left it would be because there was what he felt was a better situation. It is difficult to argue with those of you who know Harbaugh personally and have had him tell you that there is no situation in this or any parallel universe in which there could be a better situation than at Michigan.

You don't read very well. I said Harbaugh is here for the long haul and gave factual reasons as to why that is, but you're not accepting the facts.

It is what he has told John U. Bacon, among other reporters. It's what he has told close friends. It's what he has told his family.

Not accepting facts is not really going to help you understand Harbaugh and his career choice.

If you think Harbaugh is here only until a suitable NFL offer comes along, you're way off.

Bring some facts of your own if you want to argue. We'd be interested to hear them.

Without some facts, you're serving up shit.

Go Blue. Always.

It's down to Gruden or Harbaugh and apparently $ is no object.

In that case who would choose?

JH's deal is $5,000,000 + possible incentive bonuses (numerous, but would likely amount to +/- $500,000 in a really "good" year).....and escalators that increase the salary by 10% after each of 3 years and 5 years (IIRC)

The $9,000,000 number isn't "real".....it includes some deferred comp arrangements (not huge numbers) and some reimbursable life insurance investments (similar to "key man" stuff) that have little "present value" value unless JH is at Michigan for a LONG time.

The owner sucks. The rams suck (he could somewhat fix that) and it's not much more money. This is like a dream job. He's getting a raise if he ever wins a national championship

If it's all about the money. Michigan will pay up. Unless miles says I'll come

Kroenke is a lousy owner --- that is a fact. Not "Danny Snyder or Jimmy Haslem lousy", but he's on that very next tier (alongside Jed York).

I have no idea what Harbaugh will do if Kroenke calls, but there are many jobs (and bosses) in the NFL better than this one.

Kroenke is a lousy owner --- that is a fact. Not "Danny Snyder or Jimmy Haslem lousy", but he's on that very next tier (alongside Jed York).

I have no idea what Harbaugh will do if Kroenke calls, but there are many jobs (and bosses) in the NFL better than this one.
I guess the "in-the-know" crowd around here think we actually have a good idea what he'd do with such calls, we are very confident this is a dream job for Harbaugh. Doubters (or hopers) have no evidence to the contrary.

I guess the "in-the-know" crowd around here think we actually have a good idea what he'd do with such calls, we are very confident this is a dream job for Harbaugh. Doubters (or hopers) have no evidence to the contrary.

True, I've never been one of the "in-the-know" folk. My point was just that Kroenke sucks as an owner. He also owns the Rapids (MLS), Avs and Nuggets in Denver and all those fans hate him too.

Doubt he goes anywhere this year. Indy would be the one place he would be worshiped. He already is on their ring of honor and close friends with the owner. Having Luck again as QB would be a plus.
If any pro team gets him I bet it would include GM type say so on players. Money from ads would probably be significant in LA.

It is truly comical to think you have any idea about this situation at all. Coming from an O$U fan, it makes it all that much funnier to hear the level of cluelessness hahahaha!!!. Almost as funny as the officiating gifts to you.

But the real kicker...you continuing to come over to a MICHIGAN board to try and act like an O$U fan knows anything about this at all. LMAO!!!

Now continue your dreaming

Michnit................

I don´t think you know much about Stan Kroenke. He owns lots of different sports teams, sports management companies, broadcasting, ticket companies, real estate and development companies and many other things and is worth something around $8 to $9 billion. If he wanted Harbaugh he would have him and the cost would be mere pocket change. Having said that I don´t think he would get involved in the Harbaugh decision as he leaves many of those decisions to executives in his various companies. He likes to buy assets but lets others run them for him. He is more concerned with the sports big picture, world wide.

My best guess..........A Kroenke team of executives will all sit down and go over everything involved concerning the Rams. They will listen to ideas from all kinds of experts in marketing and sales, management, accountants, lawyers, team managers and conduct interviews. Eventually they will make offers and will be absolutely involved in designing contracts and handling negotiations. Stan Kroenke owns a sports empire and runs it very profitably with a large group of professional executives. The Rams coaching decision will be part of a well thought out business model. Will that include Harbaugh? I doubt it but you never know. Ask yourself who do you think would win and who do you think would sell the best?

Michnit................

I don´t think you know much about Stan Kroenke. He owns lots of different sports teams, sports management companies, broadcasting, ticket companies, real estate and development companies and many other things and is worth something around $8 to $9 billion. If he wanted Harbaugh he would have him and the cost would be mere pocket change. Having said that I don´t think he would get involved in the Harbaugh decision as he leaves many of those decisions to executives in his various companies. He likes to buy assets but lets others run them for him. He is more concerned with the sports big picture, world wide.

My best guess..........A Kroenke team of executives will all sit down and go over everything involved concerning the Rams. They will listen to ideas from all kinds of experts in marketing and sales, management, accountants, lawyers, team managers and conduct interviews. Eventually they will make offers and will be absolutely involved in designing contracts and handling negotiations. Stan Kroenke owns a sports empire and runs it very profitably with a large group of professional executives. The Rams coaching decision will be part of a well thought out business model. Will that include Harbaugh? I doubt it but you never know. Ask yourself who do you think would win and who do you think would sell the best?

I don't know Kroenke personally. But I do know this:

(1) About 66% of his net worth ($5B out of $7.5B) is a result of him marrying one of Sam Walton's daughters. He's obviously done well in life, but he doesn't get even close to all the credit for his net worth.

(2) He did the city of St Louis dirty on his way out.

(3) In less than a year, the Rams have become a joke among LA residents and have already run through the "goodwill honeymoon period" any new-to-town sports team gets. They've only played 6 regular season games out there and already their stadium is over half empty for home games.

(4) I have a number of friends and family out in Denver and none of them have a favorable opinion of how the Rapids, Avs, and Nuggets are currently run.

(5) He wears a horrible toupee.

I'm not the only one who thinks he is among the worst owners in the NFL. He better hope the San Diego Chargers don't move north to Los Angeles as well. San Diego isn't well-run either (by Dean Spanos), but they'll become more popular than the Rams in the LA market.

My bet: the Rams will get re-tread Josh McDaniels as their new coach and go a combined 10-22 over the next 2 years.

I'm not sure if people here are doing the math.

Yes, a HC can make more money in the NFL. Per season.

But the amount of money one can make over a period of time is better for the great COLLEGE coaches than for the NFL. There are very few coaches that make it a long time in the NFL. Even fewer who make it a long time with a single team. And success does not help that in most cases- again, Harbaugh went to the peak and two years later (after going to the NFC championship) and still got fired. If he does the same at Michigan, he'll get a 10 year renewal of his contract.

This is really simple, and I don't even know coach harbaugh and his family.

I don't know Kroenke personally. But I do know this:

(1) About 66% of his net worth ($5B out of $7.5B) is a result of him marrying one of Sam Walton's daughters. He's obviously done well in life, but he doesn't get even close to all the credit for his net worth.

(2) He did the city of St Louis dirty on his way out.

(3) In less than a year, the Rams have become a joke among LA residents and have already run through the "goodwill honeymoon period" any new-to-town sports team gets. They've only played 6 regular season games out there and already their stadium is over half empty for home games.

(4) I have a number of friends and family out in Denver and none of them have a favorable opinion of how the Rapids, Avs, and Nuggets are currently run.

(5) He wears a horrible toupee.

I'm not the only one who thinks he is among the worst owners in the NFL. He better hope the San Diego Chargers don't move north to Los Angeles as well. San Diego isn't well-run either (by Dean Spanos), but they'll become more popular than the Rams in the LA market.

My bet: the Rams will get re-tread Josh McDaniels as their new coach and go a combined 10-22 over the next 2 years.

Mich.............

Just a few thoughts:

You obviously hate Stan Kroenke and all his billions (or envy?). He was actually fairly rich so to speak when he married Walton's daughter............but, so what. Billions are billions no matter how you got them. Ask the Donald.

The LA market has always had a lousy reputation for supporting NFL football teams.

Keep in mind Kroenke is first a business man..........ehh, nice to win but business comes first. The reason the team is in LA is because he was offered a better deal than in St. Louis........strictly business. Many NFL cities have basically been "held hostage" by NFL owners.........some caved, some didn't. It's all about the money..........a multi-billion dollar corporate giant.

And FWIW, I'm not a toupee guy either.

You don't read very well. I said Harbaugh is here for the long haul and gave factual reasons as to why that is, but you're not accepting the facts.

It is what he has told John U. Bacon, among other reporters. It's what he has told close friends. It's what he has told his family.

Not accepting facts is not really going to help you understand Harbaugh and his career choice.

If you think Harbaugh is here only until a suitable NFL offer comes along, you're way off.

Bring some facts of your own if you want to argue. We'd be interested to hear them.

Without some facts, you're serving up shit.

Go Blue. Always.

And what facts do you have? Has Harbaugh actually said he would never leave Michigan quote un quote? Not there for the long haul, but would never leave under any circumstance? It seems it is you who and several other posters here who don't read very well.

I said that if Harbaugh ever leaves it would be because he found a better situation. I didn't say he was leaving now, I didn't say that he was biding his time until the right offer came around, I did say that a better situation may never happen. It was in response to those who said he wouldn't leave until he beat OSU, won a National Championship, wouldn't leave because his parents moved to AA, or wouldn't leave because his kids were attending his same elementary school. I give Harbaugh more credit than that.

I say again, Harbaugh will only leave if he sees a better option than what he has now. As I said before, It may be unlikely, it may never happen, but like any high value professional in any occupation, that is the evaluation they make.

I'm not sure if people here are doing the math.

Yes, a HC can make more money in the NFL. Per season.

But the amount of money one can make over a period of time is better for the great COLLEGE coaches than for the NFL. There are very few coaches that make it a long time in the NFL. Even fewer who make it a long time with a single team. And success does not help that in most cases- again, Harbaugh went to the peak and two years later (after going to the NFC championship) and still got fired. If he does the same at Michigan, he'll get a 10 year renewal of his contract.

This is really simple, and I don't even know coach harbaugh and his family.

What you are saying may be true, but the problem is that you and most fans of any sports program, is making assumptions based on what "we" would do if we were magically transported into that position. Guys like Harbaugh don't look at "security". First of all, if he never works again he won't have to worry about finances. Guys like Harbaugh seek challanges and proving that they're the best.

For now, I'm sure coaching at the college level meets those motivations. But we don't know if it will remain that way for the entirety of his career.

It is truly comical to think you have any idea about this situation at all. Coming from an O$U fan, it makes it all that much funnier to hear the level of cluelessness hahahaha!!!. Almost as funny as the officiating gifts to you.

But the real kicker...you continuing to come over to a MICHIGAN board to try and act like an O$U fan knows anything about this at all. LMAO!!!

Now continue your dreaming

Lol. It's people like you who keep me coming to these boards. I'm not rooting for Harbaugh to leave. I've said all along that whether it is Harbaugh or some other coach at Michigan, the pendulum will eventually swing back in the Wolverine's favor. I don't want to see a swing in dominance the way the past couple and a half decades have gone- Michigan in the 90's and OSU in the 2000's. I would be perfectly ok if Michigan and OSU were beating each other every year, but the rivalry elevated both programs to the point where whomever won the Game, would be favored for the National Championship.

So here's my question Pharm D- Are you saying that if Harbaugh ever was offered a situation that he found better for himself, he would turn it down because he loves Michigan too much?

What you are saying may be true, but the problem is that you and most fans of any sports program, is making assumptions based on what "we" would do if we were magically transported into that position. Guys like Harbaugh don't look at "security". First of all, if he never works again he won't have to worry about finances. Guys like Harbaugh seek challanges and proving that they're the best.

For now, I'm sure coaching at the college level meets those motivations. But we don't know if it will remain that way for the entirety of his career.
Don't they?

I haven't seen Nick Saben move on from Alabama back to the NFL.

Urban Myer has not moved on from OSU, yet.

Steve Spurrier never went back.

Les Miles never made the jump.

There are plenty of top level NCAA HC's who have not moved on.

Lets not pretend that Harbaugh is the only top NCAA coach that is talked about going to the NFL.

You also assume that the coaches see the NFL as some kind of great challenge over the NCAA- having the same players where you negotiate their salary instead of keep cycling the players ever year. Challenge is what you want it to be.

You make a mighty assumption of what Harbaugh is like. As far as I can see, the question of NFL or NCAA was answered when he took the job here. There were other NFL opportunities when he took the job here.

Over the years the financial aspects of coaching in CFB have evolved rapidly for one big reason: They all have professional agents now. And those agents all look at what agent Bob LaMonte did with Charlie Weis at Notre Dame, Florida and Kansas (grand total around $45 to $50 million + perks) not to mention all his dozens other big time clients. Big time coaches are agent driven and agents are $$$ driven. Now more than ever it's all about the $$$. Harbaugh may love UM but most assuredly his agent Leigh Steinberg loves $$$ above all else..........that's his job.
http://www.freep.com/story/sports/c...6/michigan-football-leigh-steinberg/32493799/

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT