ADVERTISEMENT

Why is UM ranked so high in 2016? From OSU and MSU Fans

scfanblue

Senior
Oct 25, 2014
Charleston, South Carolina
I am a Michigan fan and this is the question that I get from both sets of fans that are coworkers of mine. This was my explanation to them: Last year, I did not expect Michigan to be even close to OSU and they were not even with Harbaugh as the coach. Why? Because on paper, they were the best team in the nation sending 12 players to the NFL. They choked last year in their attempt to repeat as national champions. They should have blasted UM and they did. Their biggest choke coming the week before against MSU and the two best games they played all year was against UM and ND. The Bucks have been the better program since Tressel's arrival. Meyer inherited a robust program much like he did at Florida. They have recruited much better than UM for 15 years now, however, that will change now with Harbaugh. OSU will still pull the great players BUT Michigan will be right there with them under Harbaugh. Carr's final years, Rich Rod and Hoke put a huge gap between UM and OSU in recruiting. The Bucks lost a ton of experienced talent that played together for three years and went 50-4. Incredible and THAT will be very difficult to maintain with 6 returning starters this year. UM was horrible in 2014 and Harbaugh went 10-3 last year with the same players that were 5-7 the year before. Most of these players are back in 2016 and that's why they are ranked higher in the preseason.

Michigan State-Dantonio has been fantastic in EL and has really enjoyed the end of the Carr yeras, RR and Hoke years at Michigan. Along the way he built the program in the midst of a weak UM program by claiming "no respect" in the state of Michigan and nationally. MSU won some big games and slapped Michigan around physically for years, slipping one time against Hoke in the process. The arrival of Harbaugh in Ann Arbor has immediately changed this and the "fluke win" easily proves this. BUT that game does not define MSU nor does their win in Columbus or against Iowa last year. The game that defines the program and will resonate in a negative fashion this season will be the embarrassment of the 38-0 ass whipping against Alabama. Dantonio cried for "respect" for years and when it came to putting it on the line, the program was crushed in front of a national audience. That mantra is now gone and the Spartans also have a ton to replace this year. That's why UM is ranked higher in the preseason.

My response.

Why is UM ranked higher.

1. Skewed Florida game.
2. Assumption that UM replaces Rudock
3. Harbaugh
4. MICHIGAN
5. MSU losing key players

UM is on the upswing. As a blogger from an OSU blog said it best...it's not a matter of IF UM rises to greatness...it's a matter of when.

RM

I have also heard that the Florida win was skewed. Florida was not good on offense BUT their defense was excellent. They lost to Alabama 29-15 in the SEC championship game. The same team that crushed MSU 38-0. Michigan dominated Florida in Every phase of the game. Florida didn't lay down for the Wolverines. They were crushed by a team that finally put it together.

Reactions: RCORTEZ1126
Florida didn't want to be there and UM definitely had something to prove. The intensity was high on the UM side and they put it all together. Another variable is UM got ahead of Florida and the defense laid down.

I give UM credit but that victory has created the perception that UM is ready for the big time. I think they are getting there but here is the key question.

Is UM ready for Alabama and OSU while losing Rudock and getting whacked in that last game against OSU at home...without Glasgow? Why the focus on the Florida performance when the previous game wasn't too impressive.

I could see UM going 8-4 or 11-1 and would probably pick 10-2 this year but something tells me that UM is a much more complete team and on the upswing but the qb/rb play and the potency of OSU is going to keep them a year away. I don't want Alabama.....yet.

I do believe Issac is a huge 'x' factor.

RM

As an OSU fan I don't wonder why Michigan is ranked so high. They're a legitimate top 10 team. A legitimate top 5 team. At this point it's all speculation and the good thing is that if a team can win the Big with no losses they're in the playoffs. With one loss, depending on whom and when they lose, they have a very good shot in the playoffs. In the end, for iconic programs like OSU and Michigan, it doesn't matter if you are ranked 1 or 10.

So while I'm not surprised with any ranking Michigan (or OSU) has, it also no longer matters.

You can't base the Ohio State game last year on "is Michigan ready for them." As a program. Last years OSU team was the best team in the nation period. That team played together for 3 years and was 50-4. They played their best football against UM and ND. Individualism, lack of team discipline and poor coaching against MSU is the only thing that kept them from repeating. That team is gone now and 12 to the NFL

Reactions: llhcatsports
How did the OSU coach's cost them the game vs. MSU? It was the great game plan and coaching from MSU's staff that won that game.

Florida didn't want to be there and UM definitely had something to prove. The intensity was high on the UM side and they put it all together. Another variable is UM got ahead of Florida and the defense laid down.

I give UM credit but that victory has created the perception that UM is ready for the big time. I think they are getting there but here is the key question.

Is UM ready for Alabama and OSU while losing Rudock and getting whacked in that last game against OSU at home...without Glasgow? Why the focus on the Florida performance when the previous game wasn't too impressive.

I could see UM going 8-4 or 11-1 and would probably pick 10-2 this year but something tells me that UM is a much more complete team and on the upswing but the qb/rb play and the potency of OSU is going to keep them a year away. I don't want Alabama.....yet.

I do believe Issac is a huge 'x' factor.

RM
Throw Mone and Glasgow into the lineup vs OSU and its a close game.....depth on the d-line was paper thin the last 4 weeks of 2015...Glasgow was playing at an all BT level when he went down and he was the back up to Mone. The d-line will be sick in 2016!!!

How did the OSU coach's cost them the game vs. MSU? It was the great game plan and coaching from MSU's staff that won that game.

Not having Cook in that game was a blessing becuase the backups were much better runners....downfield passing was impossible in those conditions.....MSU would have lost by 3 scores in normal weather/field conditions.....MSU's secondary was protected by the weather...OSU totally scrapped the read option/passing which allowed MSU's D to swarm the run.

Reactions: llhcatsports
It was a perfect storm for MSU, and to their credit, they also came through when it counted. The weather can be an equalizer in general. Having Conner out led the OSU coaches to play not to lose assuming that in such conditions the team, especially one without their starting QB, that made the mistake would lose. It almost happened but we all know what often happens when you play not to lose. Elliott was in the hospital for three days that week and while I think he would have been able to play more, the OSU coaches game planned without him in the lineup. With the weather conditions and Cook being out they decided to stick with that game plan. Elliott proved throughout his career that if you give him the ball enough times, he'll make a difference. Twelve carries wasn't enough times.

And to add to the equation, Dantonio and staff did do a good job planning and as stated at the start, the Spartans executed. But it's not as simple an answer as "the OSU coaches blew it" or MSU just had a better game plan.

You can't base the Ohio State game last year on "is Michigan ready for them." As a program. Last years OSU team was the best team in the nation period. That team played together for 3 years and was 50-4. They played their best football against UM and ND. Individualism, lack of team discipline and poor coaching against MSU is the only thing that kept them from repeating. That team is gone now and 12 to the NFL

Individualism? Which players played with a sense of individualism that cost OSU the MSU game or season?
Lack of team discipline? Where did lack of team discipline cost OSU a game? Teams that lack team discipline rarely if ever play their best ball at the end of the season. Teams that lack discipline don't play their best two games after an unexpected loss that kills their chances for a conference or national championship. They usually fall apart. Poor coaching against MSU, I'll say it was more complex than just coaching, but I will agree that with hindsight being 20/20 they would have done things differently.

Not having Cook in that game was a blessing becuase the backups were much byetter runners....downfield passing was impossible in those conditions.....MSU would have lost by 3 scores in normal weather/field conditions.....MSU's secondary was protected by the weather...OSU totally scrapped the read option/passing which allowed MSU's D to swarm the run.

It was a perfect storm for MSU, and to their credit, they also came through when it counted. The weather can be an equalizer in general. Having Conner out led the OSU coaches to play not to lose assuming that in such conditions the team, especially one without their starting QB, that made the mistake would lose. It almost happened but we all know what often happens when you play not to lose. Elliott was in the hospital for three days that week and while I think he would have been able to play more, the OSU coaches game planned without him in the lineup. With the weather conditions and Cook being out they decided to stick with that game plan. Elliott proved throughout his career that if you give him the ball enough times, he'll make a difference. Twelve carries wasn't enough times.

And to add to the equation, Dantonio and staff did do a good job planning and as stated at the start, the Spartans executed. But it's not as simple an answer as "the OSU coaches blew it" or MSU just had a better game plan.

I agree with some of what both of you are saying. However, the main reason MSU won...

1. This was my main point about the coaching in this game. Elliott had 12 carries for just 33 yards a 2.8 avg. Barrett had 15 carries for just 44 yards a 2.9 avg. This had nothing to do with Ohio State's game plan. It had to do with Michigan State's game plan. MSU controlled the clock (38:10) and limited how often OSU had the ball. In a normal game both teams will have 65 or so plays. In this game OSU only had 46 offnesive plays. This is why Elliott only had 12 touches.

2. MSU controlled both lines of scrimmage in this game. With Cook out and the bad weather. OSU new that MSU could not pass. However, they still could not stop MSU's running game 203 yards 4.0 avg.

3. Both OSU's scores came on bad MSU's turnovers.
(A) The muffed punt where OSU started inside the 10.
(B) The Bosa sack & fumble. Where OSU started at the 35.
Without these two plays OSU may have had zero points in this game.

Individualism? Which players played with a sense of individualism that cost OSU the MSU game or season?
Lack of team discipline? Where did lack of team discipline cost OSU a game? Teams that lack team discipline rarely if ever play their best ball at the end of the season. Teams that lack discipline don't play their best two games after an unexpected loss that kills their chances for a conference or national championship. They usually fall apart. Poor coaching against MSU, I'll say it was more complex than just coaching, but I will agree that with hindsight being 20/20 they would have done things differently.

Last year is over and this year is a new year BUT you can play it anyway you want to: OSU had a number of off the field issues like (Bosa) and issues like Elliott whining and calling their coaches out before the media (which Urban supported) How can issues like this not contribute to a team's mindset and play? Sure they rebounded and played their best games in the final two BUT that was against UM and ND. The wake up was the loss to MSU where weather, solid MSU play and poor coaching( not running Elliot enough) combined for the loss. Meyer is a great coach, however, team discipline has never been his strength. He is a great coach though.

I sat with 3 footballl coaches (including an OSU PhD graduate-coach) for the MSU-OSU game. While MSU played a solid defensive game the coaches went nuts about the OSU play calling. With a dominate OL and a great running back (great players play great in big games) Elliott had such few carries it was ridiclous. In bad weather do you pass or run? doesn't take a footballl coach to answer that one.

I truly wish OSU would have won just to set up an Alabama game. I'd put money on the Bucks in that one. Sorry OSU fans. MSU outcoached Urban.

I agree, I think the Bucks would have beaten the Tide again last year. I created this post for the intentions of explaining why Michigan should be ranked as high as they are preseason. Instead, it morphed into how Florida laid down to Michigan and how the bowl win really does not mean anything and then it morphed into why OSU lost to MSU back in November. None of that matters. I will finish by saying this just like I told mu buddies. Yes, Michigan was really down for about 6 six years and yes MSU and OSU have posted several wins over the Wolverines and especially since 2000. BUT does that mean that the only records that should count in college football are those that began in 2000? if that is so then Alabama and ND should not count their national championships or their overall records? I guess Michigan should not count them either and let me remind those fans Michigan has a much better win/loss record against OSU and MSU AND more national championships. Harbaugh will be earning more I assure you. Meyer is a great recruiter BUT so is Harbaugh and there will be no more recruiting gaps between those programs. In fact, they will be very close to each other each year. As for this year, Michigan will be very good and should be ranked high in the preseason and they have an outstanding chance of beating both OSU and MSU in East Lansing and Columbus.

Last year is over and this year is a new year BUT you can play it anyway you want to: OSU had a number of off the field issues like (Bosa) and issues like Elliott whining and calling their coaches out before the media (which Urban supported) How can issues like this not contribute to a team's mindset and play? Sure they rebounded and played their best games in the final two BUT that was against UM and ND. The wake up was the loss to MSU where weather, solid MSU play and poor coaching( not running Elliot enough) combined for the loss. Meyer is a great coach, however, team discipline has never been his strength. He is a great coach though.

The only reason I brought this issue up about last year was because you brought it up first. Bosa did have a disciplinary issue that effected him early in the season. That was long in the rear view mirror by the time OSU lost to MSU and not a factor. Actually after the Virgina Tech game which he missed due to violation of team rules, he moved out of his apartment because he felt ther would be less distractions. Elliott called out the coaches after the MSU loss, and played great thereafter. Again, it did not effect any gameplay. Elliott by all accounts, also had and has a great relationship with the coaches. He was very emotional after the game because he knew it was his last home game and season as a Buckeye. He played great thereafter, again not a sign of a player out of control. But if it makes you feel better Meyer I'll make up a story for you like- he probably kicked a dog and stole candy from a baby at some point during the season.

I sat with 3 footballl coaches (including an OSU PhD graduate-coach) for the MSU-OSU game. While MSU played a solid defensive game the coaches went nuts about the OSU play calling. With a dominate OL and a great running back (great players play great in big games) Elliott had such few carries it was ridiclous. In bad weather do you pass or run? doesn't take a footballl coach to answer that one.

I truly wish OSU would have won just to set up an Alabama game. I'd put money on the Bucks in that one. Sorry OSU fans. MSU outcoached Urban.

Believe me, I was saying the same things during the game. What I didn't know at the time however, and I'll assume that your friends didn't either, was that Elliott was in the hospital for three days that week and didn't run until Friday. As I said earlier the coaches did change their play calling because of a variety of factors which at the time may seem to make sense, but with hindsight being 20/20, like any coach in any game they would do somethings differently.

I like Urban Meyer and think he is a great coach. Meyer would never be rude to fans or act like a dick like Dantonio. Urban is all business and winning is his business. Discipline, however, has never been his business. His Florida teams were absolutely out of control in Gainsville. Tebow, however took many eyes off of the other stuff that was going on. They sure did kick ass on the field though except for the bowl game in which Carr's game plan whacked their ass. If Big Brett and AD Jeff Long are so pissed off at Michigan then they can replace Michigan with Ohio State!!!!!!!! I would say MSU but nobody knows how they will respond from the ass whipping they took at the hands of the Tide last year. Ouch!!!!!

Last edited:
I agree with some of what both of you are saying. However, the main reason MSU won...

1. This was my main point about the coaching in this game. Elliott had 12 carries for just 33 yards a 2.8 avg. Barrett had 15 carries for just 44 yards a 2.9 avg. This had nothing to do with Ohio State's game plan. It had to do with Michigan State's game plan. MSU controlled the clock (38:10) and limited how often OSU had the ball. In a normal game both teams will have 65 or so plays. In this game OSU only had 46 offnesive plays. This is why Elliott only had 12 touches.

2. MSU controlled both lines of scrimmage in this game. With Cook out and the bad weather. OSU new that MSU could not pass. However, they still could not stop MSU's running game 203 yards 4.0 avg.

3. Both OSU's scores came on bad MSU's turnovers.
(A) The muffed punt where OSU started inside the 10.
(B) The Bosa sack & fumble. Where OSU started at the 35.
Without these two plays OSU may have had zero points in this game.

Don't get me wrong, full credit to MSU on both game planning and execution. But if we're going with the assumption that OSU was the more talented team, there is often more than one reason for the underdog to come out victorious. OSU has benefited from the perfect storm scenario in the past as well. I'd include the OSU victory over Miami in the 2002 for the National Championship.

1. Regarding Elliott's lack of carries, I maintain that the majority of the week they game planned for him to get no carries at all. Without Cook and with the weather, OSU played an almost like Tressel game plan. They were waiting for MSU to make the mistakes and were of the mindset that the only way they could lose was if they made a costly mistake. The coaches overthought the situation. I think if the conditions were different and/or Cook did play they would have called a more open game. But neither was the case and they didn't.

2. Can't argue with what MSU did on the ground. Kudos to the Spartans for that and that was a key to the game.

3. The fact that OSU scored on MSU's mistakes reinforces the OSU's coach's mindset. Let the team with the less experienced QB's and presumed less talent make the mistakes. I actually think if those MSU mistakes didn't happen then Meyer and company would have been forced to open things up more. Again with 20/20 to my advantage, that's easy to say. But I can understand your argument that OSU wouldn't have scored at all as a viable argument also.

I credit Dantonio and staff. It was a great game plan but great game plans alone don't win games.

I like Urban Meyer and think he is a great coach. Meyer would never be rude to fans or act like a dick like Dantonio. Urban is all business and winning is his business. Discipline, however, has never been his business. His Florida teams were absolutely out of control in Gainsville. Tebow, however took many eyes off of the other stuff that was going on. They sure did kick ass on the field though except for the bowl game in which Carr's game plan whacked their ass. If Big Brett and AD Jeff Long are so pissed off at Michigan then they can replace Michigan with Ohio State!!!!!!!! I would say MSU but nobody knows how they will respond from the ass whipping they took at the hands of the Tide last year. Ouch!!!!!

Well, to my knowledge Meyer's Bowling Green and Utah teams weren't known for lacking discipline. Florida did have its share of train wrecks, but for the most part there have been problems with the major Florida programs:Miami, FSU, and Florida for decades- especially when they are of National Championship caliber. I would suggest that it's a Florida (as in state of) problem. Certainly something that a coach who came from Utah might not be fully prepare to handle. Meyer made mistakes there which he has acknowledged. But that's all a big difference from the broad brush blanket statement,"Discipline, however, has never been his business."

I have also heard that the Florida win was skewed. Florida was not good on offense BUT their defense was excellent. They lost to Alabama 29-15 in the SEC championship game. The same team that crushed MSU 38-0. Michigan dominated Florida in Every phase of the game. Florida didn't lay down for the Wolverines. They were crushed by a team that finally put it together.

Florida 9, Vanderbilt 7 ... A Commodores team that finished 4-8. Any given Saturday!

Florida's offense was awful, they lost 2-27 to Florida State, ouch.

Tennessee finished the 2014 season, with a dominate 45-28 win over Iowa. They finished 9-4 in 2015. They are a Top 10 program, like Michigan heading into 2016.

Each season is a new year. The #1 reason Michigan is considered a team to watch 52 letter-winners back, with 8 starters on offense and 6 starters on defense back.

Who will be QB? Favorable first five games all in Ann Arbor should assist the new QB. No trip to Utah to open the season.

Michigan does need to replace their Top 3 defensive players. It will be an interesting 2016 B1G season.

peace

635849569392577409-USP-NCAA-FOOTBALL-BIG-TEN-CHAMPIONSHIP-IOWA-VS-MI-78090760.JPG

Florida 9, Vanderbilt 7 ... A Commodores team that finished 4-8. Any given Saturday!

Tennessee finished the 2014 season, with a dominate 45-28 win over Iowa. They finished 9-4 in 2015. They are a Top 10 program, like Michigan heading into 2016.

Each season is a new year. The #1 reason Michigan is considered a team to watch 52 letter-winners back, with 8 starters on offense and 6 starters on defense back.

Who will be QB? Favorable first five games all in Ann Arbor should assist the new QB. No trip to Utah to open the season.

Michigan does need to replace their Top 3 defensive players. It will be an interesting 2016 B1G season.

peace

635849569392577409-USP-NCAA-FOOTBALL-BIG-TEN-CHAMPIONSHIP-IOWA-VS-MI-78090760.JPG
Their top three defensive players? Huh? Guess u don't watch Michigan football.

Reactions: tomeconomy

peace

Top 3 tacklers does not equal top 3 defensive players. But thanks for playing!!

I agree, I think the Bucks would have beaten the Tide again last year. I created this post for the intentions of explaining why Michigan should be ranked as high as they are preseason. Instead, it morphed into how Florida laid down to Michigan and how the bowl win really does not mean anything and then it morphed into why OSU lost to MSU back in November. None of that matters. I will finish by saying this just like I told mu buddies. Yes, Michigan was really down for about 6 six years and yes MSU and OSU have posted several wins over the Wolverines and especially since 2000. BUT does that mean that the only records that should count in college football are those that began in 2000? if that is so then Alabama and ND should not count their national championships or their overall records? I guess Michigan should not count them either and let me remind those fans Michigan has a much better win/loss record against OSU and MSU AND more national championships. Harbaugh will be earning more I assure you. Meyer is a great recruiter BUT so is Harbaugh and there will be no more recruiting gaps between those programs. In fact, they will be very close to each other each year. As for this year, Michigan will be very good and should be ranked high in the preseason and they have an outstanding chance of beating both OSU and MSU in East Lansing and Columbus.
They don't have an excellent chance of beating either of them on the road. While calling the MSU win in AA last year a fluke, people seem to ignore the fact that MSU had many more yards and first downs. That will happen again in EL like it has for several of the past 9 years. MSU has a better team than UM even this year with all of the losses of players. MSU has better players behind most of the departing players other than QB, DE receiver where it is only because of youth. The talent is there. If UM fans are banking on the Alabama to save them from MSU staying strong, that is a fool's play.

They don't have an excellent chance of beating either of them on the road. While calling the MSU win in AA last year a fluke, people seem to ignore the fact that MSU had many more yards and first downs. That will happen again in EL like it has for several of the past 9 years. MSU has a better team than UM even this year with all of the losses of players. MSU has better players behind most of the departing players other than QB, DE receiver where it is only because of youth. The talent is there. If UM fans are banking on the Alabama to save them from MSU staying strong, that is a fool's play.

No. It's banking on the fact that they are bringing in better players than sparty. Again, sparty needed the miracle of all miracles to win last year. And that was year 1 under Harbaugh, where many sparty fans before the season started talked about what a blowout that game would have been. Complete fluke that sparty won that game...definitely should have lost that.

And this year's msu team will be NOWHERE near the team they were last year. They may win 9 games, but Mcihigan is far superior to little brother this year and the floodgates are really going to open. Michigan will win this game going away and this is going to continue for years to come. Superior players over msu with (finally) top-tier coaching will bring back things to the way they were, and always will be.

Reactions: GoBlue_since1985

Does little brother have an excellent chance of winning another game? Looks like Alabama truly did cause the permanent decline in little brother football. RIP MSU football: 2008-2015

I think tnakfoor and some other dude with a handle around "eric..." something was claiming how Dantonio has already established himself as one of the best coaches of all time in the BIG...20% winning percentage over the past 10 games...I would say he is not even close. 1-9 against FBS teams with only 3 of those games against ranked opponents so it's not like their schedule is brutal.

I am guessing you won't hear from either guys for another year, hopefully more :)

Reactions: PharmD Blue
MSU never has been, and never will be, an elite program. They can talk about how "great" their last three recruiting classes have been...but that means squat. The players stink, the team and program stinks, and the coach has fizzled out. They will be lucky to win 7 games a year from now on.

Sparty for the past few years really benefitted from Michigan being down. Their past 2-3 classes have been better than what they have traditionally gotten and they really had the perfect storm of luck the past 4 years. All their under-the-radar recruits really played incredibly well together and developed wonderfully. They got all the super lucky breaks in almost every game they played and the ball just tossed their way all the time. They should have lost 2 more games last year for instance.
Look at them this year and they have talent but there is clearly a divide in the program - kids don't really seem to like each other, they don't play hard. They don't want to play - McDowell - thank god he did not come to Michigan. He seems so uninterested about playing at the college level and that rubs off on other players. McDowell is MSU's version of Funchess.
MSU is not going to continue to be a 2-7 type program but I don't see them going to a BCS game or anything of that caliber anytime soon. Michigan is back in a big way and PSU is absolutely heading in the right direction.

MSU has a better team than UM even this year with all of the losses of players. MSU has better players behind most of the departing players other than QB, DE receiver where it is only because of youth. The talent is there. If UM fans are banking on the Alabama to save them from MSU staying strong, that is a fool's play.

HAHAHA! This is hilarious. I'm dying here.

I need to find more old MSU posts...

They thought that lucky run from last year meant that they had arrived... They needed a miracle and a tsunami to beat UM and OSU last year... lol

Would you say the great game plan and coaching from MSU's staff has been impressive this year?
No, not at all. I understand that this years roster was going to be a bit down from the last few years. However, for some reason this team has quit ever since halftime of the Wisconsin game.

Welcome back Lake Tahoe Spartan. Yeah, Sparty struggles are crazy this year. I think things started to surface last year really when there were some questionable leaders on the team. Cook was disliked by most, understandably so. Malik too. I remember when he was being recruited, he came across as a kid that just wanted to get to the NFL, and not really do a whole heck of a lot and quite frankly he whines a lot. It also seems like that on every play some Sparty is getting injured. I remember Speilman said this last year - you are 10x more likely to get injured if you play lazy then you are if you go full strength like you are taught.
I hate to say this, but the program is in complete shambles right now and it will impact your recruiting. I expected you guys to go 8-4, at best 9-3 but did not think you would likely end up 3-9. That's a pretty steep fall - though Auburn worked their way out of it after then NC year.
Do you think things look better for you guys next season? I would imagine not 3-9 bad but you do have to go to Michigan and to OSU, schedule though looks decent.
On a last note, I hope you team just for some odd reason get's it together and plays the game of their life next weekend against OSU.

MSU is in 2007 mode.. this idea that they're going to magically rebound to double digits wins next year because of past performance is laughable. MSU goal for 2017 is making a bowl game..

Their schedule indicates they should make a bowl game next year. Here's the way I see it:

Upside
  • They have talent on their roster, but they lack serious chemistry. The team does not seem to play hard for each other at all. I think the majority of the upperclassmen leaving might actually be a good thing for MSU where the younger players can learn to play together. Remember, they had a pretty decent class the past few recruiting cycles so the talent and depth is there.
Downside
  • MSU has had most of it's success in the past 8 years during which time the BIG has been very down. Michigan stank, except for 1 year. OSU had a couple average years. Wisconsin has been consistent but not at a national level. Everyone else in the BIG has been completely irrelevant.
  • There are now some very good coaches in the BIG that will not only get recruits but also get their teams to play at a high level. Obviously Jim Harbaugh's hire automatically gives Dantonio a lot of competition for recruits in Michigan. However, with coaches like Durkin, Chryst, Franklin, and Lovie Smith it will be very tough for Sparty to pull players out of those regions.
  • Maryland, Penn State, and Illinois are only going to start getting better as teams.
I think Sparty makes a bowl game next year but will likely hover in the 8 win region for the next few years. Dantonio is still one of the best coaches out there, no question, but at the end of the day talent and recruiting matter.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT