ADVERTISEMENT

Why can't Belein recruit quality bigs?

Matt18Jones

Jan 29, 2013
Yes, he got Mitch Mcgary.

But Jordan Morgan(ended up decent I guess), Horford, Bielfeldt, Doyle, Donnal, DJ Wilson,

Why can't Belein recruit B1G caliber bigs?

But Jordan Morgan(ended up decent I guess), Horford, Bielfeldt, Doyle, Donnal, DJ Wilson,

Have you seen the price for signing a "quality" big man? It really cuts into your recruiting budget,
unless you have some wealthy booster's.

Looking at the top 5 centers from 2014, three [Okafor,Towns, and Turner were one and dones] Okonoboh now players forward for UNLV at 3 pt and 3.5 Rbs per game, Welsh at UCLA averages 3.8 points and 4 Rbs per game. Both are sophs.

God bigs are hard to come by and take longer to develop.

There aren't many quality bigs
The few there are get recruited by all the big boys who step over boundaries we don't
Bigs outside the top 15 to 20 players in the nation take longer to develop
Our offense under Coach B is very PG and wing centric. We hardly ever throw it into the post, most elite bigs don't want to come to Michigan to set picks and rebound.

Recruiting would have to be the biggest weakness for Beilein. He doesn't like to kiss butt. He is very honest and not much of a salesman. I am still happy we have him. He just prefers 4 year players over one and done

He just prefers 4 year players over one and done

Irony.

Players that have played out 4 years of eligibility under Beilein...
Novak, Douglass, Vogrich, Morgan, and soon to be LeVert

Players that left early for the pros...
Morris, Hardaway, Burke, Stauskas, McGary, Robinson

Players that transferred...
Smotrycz, Horford, McLimans, Bielfeldt, Brundidge

For somebody that likes 4 year players so much he's had very few of them in Ann Arbor.

Irony.

Players that have played out 4 years of eligibility under Beilein...
Novak, Douglass, Vogrich, Morgan, and soon to be LeVert

Players that left early for the pros...
Morris, Hardaway, Burke, Stauskas, McGary, Robinson

Players that transferred...
Smotrycz, Horford, McLimans, Bielfeldt, Brundidge

For somebody that likes 4 year players so much he's had very few of them in Ann Arbor.
Because he sucks at recruiting....he is old school and too stubborn to change.

Because he sucks at recruiting....he is old school and too stubborn to change.

Wow, you sure aren't too sharp. A review of your posting history indicates nearly 100% complaining about John Beilein. You somehow manage to turn my pointing out that he hasn't had a lot of kids play 4 years into a complaint about "sucks at recruiting", "old school", and "too stubborn to change", despite the fact that most of those players that didn't last 4 years were too busy leaving early for the NBA.

Does John Calipari also suck at recruiting because he doesn't get kids to stick for 4 years?

After the Maryland game, the box score showed Carter and Stone 14-24, mostly inside for 28 points. And IMO they dominated and would be the type of Big that you want. But.. the shooters for M were 12-24 from 3 pt for 36 points, a gain of 8 points [and we got 8 points from a "not good enough" big]. Beilein chooses [ validly IMO] to use the 24 possessions at the three point line rather than toss it into the middle.

After the Maryland game, the box score showed Carter and Stone 14-24, mostly inside for 28 points. And IMO they dominated and would be the type of Big that you want. But.. the shooters for M were 12-24 from 3 pt for 36 points, a gain of 8 points [and we got 8 points from a "not good enough" big]. Beilein chooses [ validly IMO] to use the 24 possessions at the three point line rather than toss it into the middle.
As a former hoop player (a guard), and a fan. I love the 3. It is a dangerous proposition, though.

The offense bogged down for a good 6-8 mins last night. Nothing penetrating for the kick out. They have 3 or 4 guys who can get into the paint, but do not do it regularly. They settle, and I think JB needs to figure that out, and believe he will.

All you need is Donnal and crew to keep them honest which he does. If we can get 8-12 pts from the bigs, competent D, and rebounding I will take my chance on the rest.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT