ADVERTISEMENT

What's the feeling among the coaches about the goaltending?

mark78

Michigan Man
Gold Member
Dec 13, 2001
Admittedly I've only been to one game in person so far, but from what I've heard it doesn't seem like either one has distinguished himself so far. This seems to be a far more potent offensive team than the past couple of teams were, but they seem to wander defensively some times and I have not seen either goaltender be the guy who can make up for defensive lapses.

Your representation is accurate. The coaches went into the season thinking goaltending, if not necessarily a strength, wasn't a weakness. I think they intended to have a shared load, expecting a lean toward Nagelvoort. I think that's been reflected in the starting assignments so far. I thought it was telling that Nagelvoort started on Saturday even after two straight wins by Racine.

Originally posted by Bob Miller:
Your representation is accurate. The coaches went into the season thinking goaltending, if not necessarily a strength, wasn't a weakness. I think they intended to have a shared load, expecting a lean toward Nagelvoort. I think that's been reflected in the starting assignments so far. I thought it was telling that Nagelvoort started on Saturday even after two straight wins by Racine.
and from the sounds of it (radio only) he had probably his best game. Sounded a lot sharper than anything I've seen in person so far against a pretty good team. Maybe those couple games on the bench were just what he needed to get him focused and ready to compete every night.

For Racine, he hasn't played poorly, he's taken advantage of the chances when he's been in.

When these two guys are both playing up to their potential there just doesn't seem to be much to distinguish one from the other. That's a good thing for the team if they are both playing at a high level, maybe not so good for them individually because one of them is going to be really disappointed on a regular basis.

Maybe this was the case before my time, but since I've been seriously following this hockey team I don't think I can remember Michigan having two goalies that were so evenly matched, in a good way. They have certainly had two goalies that struggled whenever they were in, but I don't remember them having two goalies that when playing well were going to give you that chance to win.

Re: They really need to shore up the defensive lapses.*

Sorry, but I think both goalies are very average. Nags is more talented naturally, but he is just not progressing enough. I'm afraid that neither one is going to play at a consistently high level required to make a serious run. I think this is one of the main reasons we have missed the NCAAs the past 2 years...and the goaltending is still not good enough.

I will try to stay positive but these goalies have to step up right now. We need a run.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT