ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting What USC/Clay Helton Situation Means For Michigan

EJ Holland

Recruiting Monkey
Apr 25, 2019
Chicago
*** USC has moved on from Clay Helton. So what does that mean for Michigan? Let's start off with five-star defensive back Domani Jackson. The Santa Ana (Calif.) Mater Dei product was just on campus for his official visit, so this news couldn't have come at a better time. I already felt optimistic about Michigan flipping Jackson following his weekend trip, and I now I feel even better. Jackson loves interim head coach Donte Williams, but he's probably not the guy long-term. As long as this search drags out and Michigan keeps winning, everything is looking good for the Wolverines to win him over.

*** Five-star Michigan commit Will Johnson worked on Jackson all weekend and called Jackson as soon as the Helton news broke. Their friendship and time together in Ann Arbor is really going a long way with Domani. I expect Jim Harbaugh to personally reach out to Jackson and his family soon. Domani's father, Randy, is a big Michigan fan and is fine with Jackson leaving home and playing at U-M. I think his mom is aa little more hesitant, but she seemed to enjoy everything this weekend.

*** The firing of Helton also boosts my confidence with Josh Conerly. So here is the situation with Conerly and USC. Conerly's trainer is actually related to the offensive line graduate assistant at USC. That connection had the Trojans really trending up. With the Helton news, I think Conerly and his family will naturally become more skeptical. Washington obviously hurt itself. If Oregon pushes, that would be my biggest concern. But I think Michigan's lead with Conerly has grown following the weekend visit and Helton news. He was in awe of the atmosphere in The Big House, loves the program and his parents have given him the green light to leave home.

*** With Courtney Morgan on staff, Michigan has a chance to move the needle with more guys in SoCal in the 2023 class. I expect him to take full advantage of USC's misfortunes.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News