ADVERTISEMENT

Well that was sort of ugly...

Puckhead

All-American
Jun 4, 2001
Michigan gets shut-out by Clarkson, losing 0-3 to split the weekend 1-1 in upstate New York.

I didn't see the first two goals by Clarkson so I don't know the circumstances, but one was a power play and both were scored within about 2 minutes of each other if I remember the times right.

The third goal was scored in the second and Michigan had been pretty much carrying the play in the period, then a little lack of focus in their zone led to a quick goal out of nowhere and they were down by three.

The third period didn't look all that good to me. For most of the period they didn't seem to play with any sort of urgency, just on the ice knocking the puck around.

Had a couple pretty long two man advantages on the power play in the game, couldn't do anything with them. Overall they had quite a few PP changes, didn't get anything done with any of them. With under 3 minutes to play Boka takes a double minor to leave Michigan short handed for the remainder of the game. Sort of the game in a nutshell.

Based on the first goal, I don’t expect to see Lavigne unless LaFontaine gives him the net.

It was pretty weak.

The second one was the result of one of our guys getting hit in the hand with the puck and he left the ice making it a 5 on 3.

Honestly, not too disappointed. Expect ups and downs all season as the new coaching staff takes hold.

Didn't see any of the game, so impressions are only off stats and the post-game interview with Mel.

Out shooting the opponent can be a good sign. Three goals on 16 shots against isn't.

I expect the ups and downs to be there pretty much all season as well. The biggest downer for me last night was how they finished. Friday night they were aggressive, kept the pressure on St Lawrence, and looked like a team that wanted the win. Saturday night they looked sloppy in the third, pretty much how so many games finished last year, sloppy, no sense of urgency, and bad decisions. Case in point the double minor in the final minutes of the game. Your team is trailing, you are running out of time, and you put the team down a man because you let a guy get under your skin.

That more than anything else is what I would really like to see change this year. Start playing every game, the entire 60 minutes, with a sense of urgency. Stop letting the other team provoke you into doing something stupid. Some guys are probably going to take a hit, everyone is going to have to let trash talk roll off them, but maybe if you do those things you might draw a penalty rather than take a penalty.

We'll see what happens now. With the bye week the coaches now have a full two weeks to work on things, hopefully we start to see some positive changes against Vermont.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT