ADVERTISEMENT

We are in the era of hope.

jimUMfan

Michigan Man
Gold Member
Jan 18, 2008
Eustis Florida
www.tiptops.com
When I was growing up watching the Wolverines under Bo, I assumed we would be good forever. I NEVER thought there was a game we should lose. Of course, we lost some, but it was rare, and looking back, we even won some we should have lost. I loved the more wide-open offense that Bo started to transition too and Mo took to the next level. I wonder what would have happened if Mo stayed.

The Carr era was started slow. It had a magical NC year, Produced Tom Brady, and one of the best games I have ever seen in the 2001 Orange Bowl. For a decade or so, Carr had OSU's number. Even though Michigan was finding a way to fumble a game or two away leading up to the game, they seemed to have the Buckeyes right where they wanted them.

The last 5-6 years of the Carr era was the beginning of the end. He lost his magic against OSU, and we seemed to play more not to lose than to win. Still, there were some great games, good seasons, and fun players to watch. Had we had the right hire after Carr, we may not have had the last 15-year nightmare we've witnessed.

The RR era was a disaster. No other way to put it. I was happy with the hire at the time, and I thought we'd still recruit at a championship level, and the governor would be taken off our athletes. Instead, the era was littered with politics, factions fighting, and worst of all, we recruited like we didn't belong. This was a program with no identity.

Then just when you thought it couldn't get worse, Dave Brandon became the AD. The ultimate empty suit ran Big John Faulk out of town, fired people every week, and alienated the former players and influential alumni. He ultimately fired RR (the only thing he did right) and Hoke was hired. While I thought Hoke was a good guy and loved Michigan, I thought he was in over his head. Ultimately, that proved out. I like coach Hoke, and I'm glad he's rebounded, but the last year he was here was ugly.

As it turns out, the guy everyone wanted but every expert on the planet said we'd never get (Except CB) said yes. This was it, finally wandering in the wilderness was over! LOOK OUT, OSU! Here we come!

Except, here we are six years later, and quite honestly, we're no better than the middle of the pack in our division. To rub salt in the wound, the can't miss kid that's ofer against our biggest rival just got a contract extension after the most miserable season since RR's first year.

Almost nobody on this board or on the staff of the Wolverine thinks we're gonna have a good year. This is the first time I can ever remember that most people on this board believe it will be tough to win 7 or 8 games.

I love Michigan football, but for a school with the history, facilities, tradition, and resources to be in this 20-year walk in the desert is getting harder and harder to take.

I'm hoping that the O-line will be better than I think it will be. I'm hoping one of our QB's surprises us all. I'm hoping we finally get a consistent run game that can get a tough first down when we need it. I'm hoping our wide receivers quit dropping the ball, and the TE's will block. I'm hoping both lines will move forward. I'm hoping the inexperience of last year's CB's will transfer into confidence. I'm hoping our LB's will be in position and good tacklers.

I'm hoping the new staff will bring the energy and discipline that this team sorely needs. Last of all, I'm hoping the can't miss kid will remember who he is, where he is, and find that old self that we as a Michigan fanbase so looked forward to seeing when he first stepped off the plane to accept the job.

It's a lot to hope for, but at this point, it's all I got.

Go Blue!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News