ADVERTISEMENT

WAY OT- Fatherly advice regarding my 9th grader

Cullen333

All-League
Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
Troy, MI
Hello all.
Ive been a part of this site for a good 12 years now (Two different user names. Some know me as Wolverine3) and have seen so many members receive invaluable advice from others here. Im hoping to get that today, although know this topic isn't as serious as some in the past.

Unfortunately I just got word that my 9th grade son is not interested in playing basketball this year for his high school. Im pretty upset. He's my oldest child and has always been a good player. Has been to UM camp a couple times. First time there he beat the UM team, minus Irvin and entire camp in lighting. Averaged 11ppg in middle school as an 8th grader (thats pretty good considering the scores typically get up to the mid 30's or so. He has played his whole life. It wasn't even a thought that he'd keep going with it. I asked him what his reason was. He said he can't stand losing (Birmingham Seaholm isn't a powerhouse by any means) and thats all that they would do this year. He also said he "just dosent want to". I told him I didn't care about any record, what string he ended up on or his stats. I want him to have the experience of being on a HS team. I want to not give something up that he has spent so much time invested in. I want him to learn to lose with dignity, get back up and keep fighting. He's an all A student, so that's not a concern.

I guess I'm just fearful that he's giving it up too soon. I don't want him being lazy. He's not playing any other sports. He's not involved in anything else currently. I just want him to keep in the right direction. Conditioning started tonight, tryouts aren't until Monday so I still have time to be persuasive.

Any suggestions?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News