ADVERTISEMENT

Vet of the Game - postscript

totchman

All-American
Gold Member
Jan 3, 2002
The Hills of Bloomfield
First of all

Thank you to all those that posted - sent pictures and came to the Veteran of the Game tailgate.

It is greatly appreciated by my family.

Well....

They say its great to be a Michigan Wolverine. Saturday proved this correct.

The University of Michigan did a first class job in all regards. And it is not just Ann Arbor but the Dearborn campus office of Vet Affairs is very involved too. Everybody was great and could not have been nicer.

The marching band stopped by the tailgate and played the Victors. The drum major was so nice to my dad. As a Michigan fan that was awesome in its own right. But it got better.

The team that does the Veteran of the game tailgate - had a baseball card made up for the day - were great hosts and made everyone welcome. A great group indeed.

They had my parents up in the club section which was perfect and everyone was so nice and helpful.

Then invited my whole family down on the field - including my stupid Sparty brother - who was respectful enough to wear a Maize M pullover. They got my mom a wheelchair so she would not need her walker. We got to see most of the 3rd qtr on the sidelines - including DPJ's punt return.

As a Marine - having the band play the "Marines Hymn" was special and having them do it for your dad - is a speechless moment.

My dad really didn't want to do this. He felt is friends that didn't come home or those from WW2 were more deserving - which is how he normally is - but he finally relented after much arm twisting.

Have to say - as a Michigan fan for my whole life and graduate of the school - I could not have been prouder of the school then I was on Saturday given what a great job they did - was a true bucket list item to see my dad and family have such a special day.

And add on to it - a GREAT Michigan win!!!!

Thank you to those that passed on your good wishes, sent pictures and video - very appreciated.

Would suggest to those with a Vet in your family to recommend them to the school. It is a special moment for them.

Given my parents met at the Union over 62 years ago - was a nice "full circle" moment and meant so much to them both.

Go Blue - and our team is ascending!!!!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News