ADVERTISEMENT

Ty Wheatly Jr.

TJ attended the elementary school 200 yards from my house when he lived in A2 and was a classmate of my son for eight years. They played sports both with and against each other for years.

They were playing 7th grade BB together when Ty got the job at Syracuse and both said they wanted to return to A2; TJ to play at UM and Ty to replace Fred Jackson. If not for the Hoke implosion, TJ would have been a UM lock. But over the last five years things changed and he evolved into a top 100 recruit.

It might be too late to reel him in but I will say he and his family (esp dad) are very tight and they have a lot of family in SE MI. He has a bunch of younger siblings so it's not as though his parents will be able to jump on a plane to go see him play in LA, for example.

I'd say it's 60:40 in favor of UM at this point.

This post was edited on 1/29 8:23 AM by Aoichi

Thats cool you got to see him grow up, at least until middle school.

How are his siblings in terms of football recruits?

I heard the next boy in line (forgot his name) is a great athlete (not surprising since both Ty and his wife were college athletes). He played up on a BB team against us one year but we smoked them. TJ was a beast -- not a great BB player but had a non-stop motor (which makes me think he is a SDE all the way). We beat his team every year but to shade the defense to him every time. I don't think the brother I referred to is nearly as big (TJ gets his height from his mom's side).

After that they had a gaggle of munchkin kids -- 2-3 more IIRC.

It was funny seeing TJ and my son line up on the same BB court: 6'3" and 5'0" in 7th grade. The gap has narrowed but let's just say I am glad my kid, at 5'9"/140, has done well in school as there are no athletic schollies coming his way.

Re: TW

If they michigan does land the kid it sounds like a possible family pipeline. Those are always nice to have. Joey Bosa has a couple younger brothers that i hope become Buckeyes.

They are very close. In fact, the whole family rolls that way -- very nice people.

You can't blame TJ from having stayed away from the tire fire that was Hike's tenure.

The only way in which they are not close is the recruitment. Tim Sr is trying to remain a parent and stay out of recruiting his son to Michigan. Sounds like Jr had a good visit, but Sr isn't working on him every time they're together. He wants him to make his own choice.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT