ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Two-A-Days Notebook: Scoop On Joshua Josephs, Atlanta Recruits

EJ Holland

Recruiting Monkey
Apr 25, 2019
Chicago
*** This week, I had a chance to make my way to Atlanta to see a handful of top Michigan targets, including three-star Kennesaw (Ga.) North Cobb defensive end Joshua Josephs. Michigan is continuing to make Josephs one of its top overall priorities this cycle. He is the clear No. 1 on the edge rusher board. Josephs made an official visit to Michigan for Victors Weekend and is set to make a return trip to Ann Arbor next month for the game against Washington. Josephs is excited to get a feel for the game day atmosphere in The Big House and really wants to see how the team performs on the field this season.

*** And that brings me to my next point. The Josephs recruitment will largely depend on how Michigan performs on the field. I came away feeling that Michigan has the lead for Josephs heading into the fall. However, I am hesitant to put in a FutureCast pick for Josephs because I'm not so sure the Wolverines will light it up on the field. As one source close to the program put it, "if we win, we get him." Honestly, that's the best way to describe this situation. There are still a few SEC schools involved with Josephs, including Kentucky, which is making a hard push. But again, if everything lines up for Michigan, I don't see the Wolverines losing this battle.

*** I was actually supposed to be in Nashville on Tuesday but my flight got cancelled due to storms. Wednesday wasn't much better. While I was able to get to Atlanta, I wasn't able to get a proper evaluation of Josephs as a light practice was held in the gym. However, I did get to size him up, and he definitely passes the eye test. Josephs has extremely long arms, which he uses to his advantage on tape. He does need to add strength to unlock power, but he can be a terror off the edge in U-M's scheme. From a frame standpoint, Josephs can carry a lot more weight. Overall, I think he's four-star material. One source close to the program took it a step further and said Josephs is right up there as one of the top pass rushers nationally.

*** Kennesaw (Ga.) North Cobb is also home to three-star cornerback target Andre Stewart, who is currently committed to Kentucky. Stewart was set to be on campus for the BBQ at The Big House a couple of weeks ago but did not make the trip. However, Stewart said Michigan will get an official visit this fall. I wouldn't be surprised if he also makes his way to Ann Arbor for the game against Washington. At this point in the process, I believe Auburn and Michigan have the best shot to flip him. Stewart is leaving the door wide open, and his preexisting relationship with Steve Clinkscale, who recruited him at Kentucky, is going a long way in his recruitment.

*** Stewart is an interesting offer in that he's not your typical tall, long corner like commits Myles Pollard and Will Johnson. He's right at about 5-foot-11 and looks more like a nickel. In fact, Stewart has a very similar build as current Michigan nickel commit Kody Jones. Stewart could fill the void if Jones eventually leaves the class (not saying he will, but he is making fall visits) or be more of a safety/nickel take if Michigan misses out on Dillon Tatum, who is set to decide next month. I hate that we had weather issues as I really wanted to get a full Stewart eval.

*** With Tay'Shawn Trent wavering, I would keep a close eye on four-star Kennesaw (Ga.) North Cobb wide receiver Sam'Mbake. Honestly, I feel like M'Bake is just a better version of Trent. At 6-foot-3, 220 pounds, M'Bake is a big, physical presence on the outside. However, like Trent, he has the flexibility to be a flex end. M'Bake spent some time in that role at the practice and even put his hand on the ground. He can also move to the defensive side of the ball if needed. M'Bake has been talking with five-star Michigan cornerback commit Will Johnson and is a friend of Michigan quarterback JJ McCarthy (the two were briefly together at IMG). Both would like to see the Wolverines jump in the mix.

*** If you're looking for a Peach State recruit that Michigan can land next cycle, look no further that four-star 2023 College Park (Ga.) Woodward Academy defensive end AJ Hoffler. I made it a point to see Hoffler on my trip because I was told Michigan felt like it had a great shot at winning him over. And it was definitely worth it. Hoffler told me that Michigan is his outright leader early. He was rocking a U-M laniard and was super excited that I flew out to see him. Hoffler earned an offer on his visit this summer and is slated to be back on campus for a game this fall. He's a big, long kid in the same mold as Josephs. Michigan likes him as an edge rusher. New analyst Ryan Osborn is doing a terrific job with him.

*** College Park (Ga.) Woodward Academy is also home to rising 2024 safety CJ Heard. Michigan hosted him for a visit this summer and offered him while he was on campus. Heard wants to join Hoffler on a return trip this fall and told me his interest in the Wolverines is high early on. Heard is a bit on the shorter side (5-11 is generous), but he has a compact, muscular build and comes downhill in a hurry. I was supposed to see another 2024 Michigan target in wide receiver Debron Gatling, but weather messed up my schedule. I will tell you that he is a name to really keep tabs on. Gatling is originally from Detroit, grew up a U-M fan and was on campus this summer.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News