ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts on the game

SOHOAFFAIR

Heisman
Dec 30, 2005
New York
I posted last night that I thought we would roll Nebraska. A few factors that lead to that

1. Had a game under our feet, got our bad game out of our system
2. We've played against that switch man to man since Nebraska did it, and we've been zoned by everyone - we were ready for it all
3. Nebraska has played well this year, but in the end, they don't have a ton of high end players - they play well together, but the sum is greater than parts
4. Getting their PG in early foul trouble really took them out of sorts - they went what 1 for 20 at some point?

It would take too long to copy and paste it all, but if you look at opposing point guards in Big Ten play, there's an impressive trend showing Simpson's dominant defense. College basketball is a lead guard game, and when you have an elite defender, you really screw with a team's offense.

Add in Rahk and Matthews giving the other guards trouble, teams really struggle - Duncan is now playing in the post, no longer on the perimeter - a big change from opposing teams isolating him - Matthews, Poole or Livers take the 3/4 who isn't in the post

Teske's stats never look impressive, but he's altering a shot, blocking a shot or tipping out a rebound almost every play - at one point Beilein was doing a hockey line change - Moe wasn't in foul trouble and didn't really need a rest, but what the heck, give Teske 2-3 minutes - he liked some match-up and just made the switch

Noticed lately when we go to our bench, it's not really a "bench" as in the 6th, 7th, 8th and 9th best players - they aren't backups - our bench brings unique skills to the floor - more compliments to the starters not worse versions of them.

Love where Matthews is right now - if theres an easy basket, take it, if you're wide open, shoot it, but the offense is going through Rahk, Moe, Poole, Duncan and Simpson - Matthews is finally playing that GR3 role

Simpson not being able to take a jump shot really has not impacted the offense - our spacing is alllowing him to use his quickness for easy layups, and he's able to find the open guy - his handle and passing are elite and even though he doesn't make them, teams know he is willing to shoot.

What a game for Moe - looked like an NBA 1st rounder - another few weeks of that, and I'll drive him to the draft - still think he has a senior year Kaminsky (NPOY, Final Four) in front of him, but if we won another BTT championship and made another late run? Go go go then. I absolutely love his rebounding - it was like we had Mitch back out there - he battled all day - he gets under the skin of the other team and is our energy leader.

Not sure what to expect tomorrow with MSU. Part of me knows they are a more talented team, I think we have better systems on both ends.

If Wagner doesn't get into foul trouble, and he's hitting 3's we will win. They won't be able to keep Ward on the floor if Moe is abusing him - they might try to play Jackson at the 5, but he gets into foul trouble often, then they are forced to play Mcquad 30 plus minutes.

I don't think we can beat them if we're not shooting well - that used to be the story for any game, but we can now win other ways - tough to be a top 10 offense and defense though without outpacing them from 3 - might be a game where we need to get up 25 3's and hit 10-12 of them.

I really hope Poole lives up to the moment and throws a lot of swag at Sparty - would love to see him put on a show and talk trash.

Can't wait to see Simpson shut down Winston again.

If I had to bet the house, I probably go with Sparty to win - if we stay out of foul trouble and don't shoot terribly, we will win.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News