ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts on hoops exhibition/team . . .

92Wolv

Heisman
Gold Member
Aug 20, 2001
- I thought the game was as close as it was for two reasons - (1) Toledo made a lot of tough 1 on 1 shots and the ball seemed to all fall in for them (May alluded to this in the press conference) and (2) we got a bit sloppy with the ball at times
- I felt the sloppiness was the result of us trying to be aggressive pushing the ball down the court - a stye of play we are growing into
- In the first half, Cason looked like a guy that wasn't going to be in Ann Arbor long (NBA bound). Pretty good handle. Range. Confident. Willing to play defense. His shooting will likely be inconsistent and with scouting, teams will learn how to defend him but he's a guy that's going to be on NBA radar sooner rather than later.
- At the 1-3 positions (and sometimes 1-4) , we often play small, allowing the opponent to shoot over us. At the same time, this small/quick/aggressive lineup results in us getting steals and creating loose balls when opposing players try to put the ball on the floor or pass it. That's probably going to be a tradeoff all year.
- We don't really have pure shot blockers. Goldin will get some but in the first two exhibitions, opposing players have been able to get decent shots off when getting to the rim
- I can't remember the last time a Michigan team has made an effort to get the ball down the floor quickly after a made basket. Izzo's teams always do it but we haven't. Very happy to finally see us doing that. Unfortunately, we had the one turnover when Tschetter was trying to inbound and our guard was covered.
- I was iffy on Walters for a good chunk of the game until I saw him pump fake from 3, put the ball on the floor, drive to the basket and score. If he's only going to toss 3's from the corner, that won't be enough.
- Tschetter is going to play. His game is not pretty. But he's a good shooter, gets rebounds, hustles, plays with energy, and runs the floor well. He's a really nice guy coming off the bench and will be invaluable when Goldin and/or Wolf get into foul trouble.
- Need to see more from Jones. He's been a bit quiet so far.
- We need to get stronger still. You could see us getting pushed around under the basket . . . especially after missed free throws. May mentioned this in his press conference. Unfortunately, that will take some time.
- Love our overall depth.
- I like Donaldson. Reminds me a bit of Mike Smith (maybe it's the hair!). Needs him to finish a bit better around the rim.
- Burnett is still just not great with the ball. 3 turnovers last night. I keep hoping . . .
- Gayle looks like he will be our most dependable scorer. Looks like our best finisher at the rim.
- There will be some ups and downs this year but I'd be surprised it we don't make the tourney

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.