ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts about an ugly performance . . .

92Wolv

Heisman
Gold Member
Aug 20, 2001
- We are very lucky to walk away with a W today. Rutgers shot themselves in the foot, had some dumb penalties, and some questionable calls (including some trick plays where they weren't needed).
- I'm not sure why the announcers were questioning whether the Rutgers player should have been ejected on the late hit. Whether or not he led with the crown of his helmet, that was a hit of a defenseless QB long after he passed the ball. Whether Cade was hit with the helmet, that's precisely the type of play that can lead to a concussion (with Cade's head hitting the ground).
- Cade was never the same after that play and Rutgers played inspired, physical football from that point on. Even at the very end (when we were kneeling) they were taking it to our O-line. I'd almost rather see a shotgun snap there because that's how we snap the ball 95% of the time.
- Before the late hit, Cade was playing well. After he was bad.
- The biggest problem with Cade isn't really his arm, it's that he is absolutely no threat to run the ball. He has no feel for running the ball, can't make defenders miss, and doesn't run physically. He is a magnet for taking big hits (because he won't lower his shoulder and use his momentum against defenders). He also has no feel for handing the ball off or keeping it (maybe the coaches recognize this and therefore don't give him the option).
- I think if we lost the lead, we would have seen J.J. But because we never lost the lead, they kept Cade in the game with a "hang on for dear life" strategy.
- ultimately, to win in college, your QB needs to be a threat to run. If we get down against Wisconsin and the team is not moving the ball, I think we'll see JJ

- Our D didn't play well but the offense didn't do it any favors. We were constantly on the field, were forced to play a lot of inexperienced players, and lost Ross. We missed a lot of tackles and looked lost at times dealing with the read option.
- Dax made some plays. He also screwed some up and missed some tackles. He didn't look like a sure fire high NFL pick today IMO. I think he needs to get stronger.
- As ugly as the game was, and as much as our D was on the field, giving up only 13 points was somewhat positive. We seemed to make plays near the goal line.
- We need to get more of a pass rush.
- Hutchinson played too many snaps. I didn't like seeing him get crushed on that one chip. That's going to wear on him. I think some of our younger d-linemen are eventually going to be big time (e.g., Ojabo)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News