ADVERTISEMENT

This won't be popular with alot of people but it is my OPINION

IABlueCrue

All-American
Dec 20, 2007
Iowa City, IA
Let me start by saying Marcus Ray is one of my favorite all-time Michigan PLAYERS. As someone who played DB, my favorites have usually played safety or corner with a few exceptions (e.g. Shoelace) I also like to read what Ray has to say about Michigan. I know he has access to the program and that his opinion is based on substance.

Recently, I took issue with his comments about Channing Stribling. I thought his comments questioning the kids love of football were unfair and something that didn't need to go public. My opinion - that is a conversation you have directly with the player, not share with the world. Especially, when your access to the players and practices is due to your connection as a member of the Michigan family, not because you are in the media.

A few posters told me then, Ray knew what he was talking about. That he played at Michigan and won a national championship so he was entitled to make those comments and that he probably knew better than most.

Today I read another article on Michigan's spring practices and read comments by Marcus Ray questioning Jeremy Clark's desire to compete versus just being happy to be on the team. I get it - Marcus Ray wants to see these kids leave it all on field, he knows what it takes to compete at the highest level, and this is probably his way of motivating kids. But I still don't like it.

For me it is different to say, this kids needs to get bigger, stronger, work on a specific skill - but questioning a kid's heart, mental toughness, desire. I wish he wouldn't do it publicly. He has access to the team - take this feedback to the player himself.

How would you feel if you were Stribling or Clark and people starting asking you about what Marcus Ray said in an interview and you find out he questioned your love for the game. While it might motivate you - it is also going to hurt.

I think back to 1998 when Marcus Ray was coming off of an All-American, championship season and had been named one of the team captains. Then he was suspended for six games for associating with a known agent. I remember how disappointed I was that he would make a bad decision that put his playing career and his team at risk. He let his teammates and coaches down.

I also understood that Marcus Ray was still a kid then, learning to be a man. He made a mistake and by all indications it was a learning experience. His teammates were probably frustrated, some maybe even questioned his commitment to the team versus taking care of himself. But in interviews, they all stood by him.

I also don't recall any former players coming out and talking about his mistake, questioning his commitment to the team, whether he loved Michigan, or anything else. Every public comment from anyone associated with the Michigan football program was supportive. But I'm sure behind closed doors, there were some, including head coach Lloyd Carr, who had much more to say.

Maybe before Marcus Ray goes public questioning the desire and heart of current players, he should think back to the days when he played. Maybe he should remember how the Michigan family publicly stood behind him. Maybe he should give the same type of support to the kids out there wearing the winged helmet today. If he wants to question something, go to the player and question it, don't bring it to the masses.

Like I said - I know this won't be a popular post. After all I'm calling out a great Michigan player. And some think this is the type of "tough love" the program needs. And I'm just a message board member.

But I've spent years leading people - including the best of the best in the Marine Corps. This approach goes against everything I've ever learned. I don't see how it helps these players, but I do see how it can hurt.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News