ADVERTISEMENT

This is for most people but specifically for a guy like TDFever...

Reality Man

Heisman
Feb 9, 2002
who does some client business if I understand correctly.

In regards to this Neal issue...I find the whole thing funny. I do direct business with people (consulting/sales) and most people tend to really respect and value my services. Most people will say nice things and on occasion people will be very complimentary.

All that being said...on a rare occasion you run into some 'jerk'. Sometimes you don't hit it off with someone or something goes awry for whatever reason. System or the prospect/client is some alcoholic, etc.

The point I am surprised this doesn't happen more often. You go into someone's house...they don't want an uncomfortable situation, someone may be tired and for some reason a personality clash occurs or something is misconstrued. It happens...it happens in my business.

In the Neal situation...family is probably tired of the whole recruiting process, loves Nebraska and just wants to get everything over with. Not a problem. Neal family is fine. Best wishes on the future and attending a great institution.

To Mattison. I understand you buddy. Sales isn't always smooth. Sometimes you get crapped on for no good reason.

Reality Man

Good post.
I can't imagine the Neal family is the only family who has had something like that said to them, that wasn't meant to come off the way it did. And I can't imagine this type of situation is limited to just happening to UofM.
The lame part was that they felt the need to go on the radio about it and try to slam UofM.

I agree, good post.

Also Recruiting is a type of sales that you are going to miss on 75% of the time at best. Not a big deal missing out on that one.

another point to consider. the family could have been put off because in their eyes they didnt even rate better than the third coach comeing to their house. the head coach didnt go the def. cord. didnt go. they could have thought harbaugh himself was going to beg for their special little boy to come to michigan. if mattison ever speaks to this i am sure the story will be way different.

This story is rather irrelevant "big picture", but it is kind of strange

I do the consulting/sales thing too ..... there are[/I] some times where you have to word things carefully and deliver an uncomfortable truth. It takes tact and skill to do that.

But in this case, Mattison/Michigan doesn't need to deliver that "uncomfortable truth" at all. Sure, Neal couldn't get into U-M without the skill he has at playing football. But Neal DOES have skill at playing football; because that's so, the "what if he wasn't good at football" is completely irrelevant!!!

Mattison knows this --- I simply can't imagine he would even remotely go down that road because there's no reason to! Bottom line, I don't believe Neal's story. Just doesn't make sense.

This post was edited on 1/28 5:13 PM by michnittlion

Re: This story is rather irrelevant "big picture", but it is kind of strange

This is just a stupid non issue. The bottom line is that this kids dad is an f'ing weirdo. That's it. Obviously mattison was trying to convey that the kid had a precious opportunity to attend a world class institution because of football that most kids don't have. 99% of kids and parents get that. These weirdos did not. the end.

Some one in The Fort posted a link to the dad's Facebook page.....

let's just say he is a VERY angry individual. I'll leave it at that...

Who cares

Mattison or whomever could say that to the majority of people recruit or non-recruit, man or woman, many posting on this board. Not just anyone can get into University of Michigan - it's a fact. What if the kid said I am going to stick with Nebraska for academics and Mattison chuckled I would too. I might even follow it up with your crazy you cannot even compare the two. The leniency toward academics for athletes is a chance in a lifetime and confident that's how Mattison pitched it. Maybe his delivery sucks, maybe he didn't laugh and say that he couldn't get in UM on his own merits. I am sure he pitched it the same dozens of times w/o issue. Some people can't handle reality punching you in the face.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT