ADVERTISEMENT

Thinking outside of the box I have been looking at several universities for future expansion candidates.

maizenblue_follower

Heisman
Gold Member
Jun 14, 2001
USA
www.facebook.com
MIAMI is in fact a prestigious major research university for it's size. As are the academic demands of the University of Miami (UM). Furthermore, being AAU means something.

Continuing on another university I have looked at is the University of South Florida. I was unaware of their research prowess as such a young university. Something interesting I found was the following, U of South Florida has this published regarding their research prowess:
  • USF Joins AAU as its 5th youngest university
  • Carnegie Classification as a doctoral university with very high research activity and community engagement
  • #14 in Patents among public research universities
  • $6.02 Billion USF’s economic impact in FY 19-20
  • $461 Million in total research expenditures in FY 22-23
  • Research Park Recognition Named 2022 Outstanding Research Park by AURP
  • USF Endowment Fund which is greater than FSU & Clemson. is $889 Million. Furthermore USF is a growing via student, academic, research and endowment growth.
Honestly, USF and UM stand out from FSU and Clemson. Academics and research plus being AAU universities just may place USF & UM over any other of the Universities in Florida with the exception of the U of Florida.

Regarding athletics, this would place the B1G staunchly within the two largest population centers of Florida, being Miami, Ft Lauderdale, Palm Springs & Tampa/Orlando areas.

These two universities may be the exact reason why the B1G has indicated it will slow down the rush to expand right away, but, should the right 2 schools present themselves, they will pounce.

Realistically, both of those schools at 50%, they both would jump on a B1G invite in a heartbeat. FOX, CBS & NBC would love owning those markets and Florida would become B1G country.

USF is currently building a 45,000 seat, state of the art football stadium. The B1G would require Miami to build an on campus state of the art football stadium as well. UM would and should build a 50,000 seat on campus stadium which would be constantly sold out, in fact a 60,000 seat stadium may be better as the number of B1G fans and alumni in Florida is massive.

Seriously, these two schools just may be a much better option than FSU & Clemson. This will still leave UVA, UNC & GT open as candidates as well. Those 3 and UM line up well with ND coming on board as well.

Again, consider why AAU status was given to USM, this actually bolsters the argument in favor of USM because they offer what the B1G presidents want.

Just a thought...

Last edited:
Reactions: Gulon and mbeards
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.