ADVERTISEMENT

The results were much better this weekend, that's for sure...

Puckhead

All-American
Jun 4, 2001
maybe they are starting to put it together or not, still sort of early, but the first month of the season is over and we move into November where things are going to start getting decidedly tougher.

Michigan swept St. Lawrence 3-0 (Lavigne) and 3-1 (Mann). First sweep of the season and, though short, they have a two game winning streak and are above .500 (3-2-0) for the first time - hoozah!!

Scores from Friday night.
#10 Penn State 4, #13 Princeton 2
#3 Minnesota-Duluth 3, #1 Notre Dame 2
#15 Bowling Green 8, #4 Ohio State 2
Michigan Tech 6, #14 Wisconsin 2
Michigan State 5, #8 Cornell 2
#12 Michigan 3, St. Lawrence 0

Scores from Saturday night.
#3 Minnesota-Duluth 3, #1 Notre Dame 1 (Minnesota-Duluth sweep)
New Hampshire 3, Vermont 2 OT (not good for Michigan, I'm not sure if Vermont has won a game so no help on the strength of schedule. That opening weekend loss is going to come back to bite Michigan in the back side)
#12 Michigan 3, St. Lawrence 1 (Michigan sweep)
#17 North Dakota 3, #5 Minnesota 1 (neutral site and how strange it is to read the "Fighting Hawks are leaving Las Vegas with a 3-1 victory over arch-rival Minnesota". The Fighting Hawks, what alternate universe do I live in??)
#14 Wisconsin 6, Michigan Tech 2 (split)
#8 Cornell 3, Michigan State 4 (Michigan State sweep; are the Spartans better than expected or Cornell not as good as advertised?)
#18 Northeastern 3, #2 St. Cloud State 2 (I believe this is St. Clouds first loss of the season)
#4 Ohio State 2, #15 Bowling Green 2 (OT) (not a sweep by Bowling Green, but damn close. This was a home and home series with Bowling Green crushing Ohio State the night before in Columbus; strange things are happening in Ohio (but when aren't they?)).

It seems to be a really bad thing when a Big Ten team gets the #1 ranking in the country. Last week it was Ohio State who promptly went and lost (then this weekend happened), then this week it was Notre Dame who didn't just lose, but got swept, at home.

How the Big Ten as fared in non-conference play through the first month.
Penn State, 5 games played, 5-0-0
Michigan State, 4 games played, 3-1-0
Wisconsin, 6 games played, 4-2-0
Michigan, 5 games played, 3-2-0
Notre Dame, 6 games played, 3-2-1
Ohio State, 6 games played, 3-2-1
Minnesota, 3 games played, 1-1-1

Overall record for Big Ten: 22-10-3

Big Ten hasn't done bad in non-conference, but there have been some losses that the teams involved will probably wish they could do over (Michigan-Vermont comes to mind as an example). Sort of strange to see that Minnesota has only played 3 games so far.

For Michigan, on the weekend, there were still several (well maybe many) unwanted turnovers in bad places, but this weekend both goalies came up with the stops to keep St. Lawrence off the board. Both goalies didn't see a lot of shots get through, but when those shots happened they were often good scoring chances. Mann gave up the only goal of the weekend and that was pretty much a bang-bang play right off a faceoff; so good on the both goaltenders for their play this weekend. Not sure how long the round robin with the goalies will continue, but it would be nice to have one chosen soon. Michigan travels to Lake State for a pair of road games (the first games away from Yost) and then the heavy lifting starts in earnest. Between the 9th of November and the 8th of December Michigan will play every Big Ten team, except Ohio State, starting with Notre Dame and ending with Minnesota. All but three of those games will be played at Yost so that makes them games Michigan will want to win; they don't want to rack up a bunch of losses to conference teams on home ice with plenty of road trips waiting for them in the second half.

Buckle up boys and girls, this ride is about to get interesting. :)

Edit: I would be remiss if I didn't add a note of the strangeness happening in the East. For the first time in probably forever (or at least a really long time) both Boston University and Boston College are winless at 0-5-0. The struggle is apparently are real in bean town.

Last edited:
It was good that the D did a good job preventing shots to get to the net. It wasn't a good thing that they gave SLU so many chances with the puck. But one thing at a time, I suppose. There needs to be a LOT of work on the break out- between the far to many hero passes and the very sloppy puck control- we could not get out of our zone very cleanly.

And while we did score 3 times each night, the above really put a damper on our efforts to control the game in their zone.

Lot of work to do, but for sure a lot of potential there.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT