ADVERTISEMENT

The play that keeps me up at night....

SMA2009

Senior
Gold Member
Sep 16, 2020

4:59 on the video..... Freeze the frame....A moment in infamy.

It was 2021, at Penn State. There was 1:42 left in the 2nd quarter. Michigan was up 7-3 and Michigan had 2 timeouts, the ball, and it was 4th and 2. Michigan lined up to go for it...... -- Meanwhile, Penn State lined up 8, yes, that's EIGHT defenders, ALL of them to the RIGHT of the Michigan center......and ALL of them within 6 and a half yards of the scrimmage line.... Only the 2 safeties are outside the box, but they can reach out and touch the box right in front of them..... Effectively, 8 players in the box, and all to the right of the center.....

Michigan ran the ball, outside the right tackle.......for a loss, and turnover on downs. Michigan was outnumbered, and outflanked, and they ran the play anyway..... There have been much worse outcomes from other botched plays at Michigan......But I still ask myself after a year, Why? Why was a timeout not called? Why didn't the QB, or someone, switch the run to the left side? If they pull the guard and run left, Haskins has a solid chance to take it to the house.... How did everyone on the team, miss the 8 guys in the box, surrounding the very spot the play is going to, and run it anyway on a crucial down? Why?

The thing is, if you get this play, you probably get points to end the half, and then later you don't need a last minute come from behind win..... And for whatever reason, this is the play that I'm still shaking my head over. My question: why didn't they stop and do something different?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News