ADVERTISEMENT

The Path Off the Bubble

4thCoast

All-League
Oct 13, 2014
I think it's safe to say we're in for a season on the bubble. This will mean overreactions to single game losses, and posters trying to stick a fork in the team at multiple stages. We've been here before. So how do we get into the tournament, and better yet, off the bubble? I'm honestly just happy to be here after I thought the bubble could be burst early in the second half. Conference strength and scheduling this year would have made it very difficult to climb back on to the bubble, but it's reasonable to ride it to our destination.

Must Win (Total Wins; Conference):
Detroit (9)
AAMU (10)
Jacksonville (11)
Vs. Rutgers (12; 2)
Vs. Illinois (13; 3)
Vs. Iowa (14; 4)
Vs. OSU (15; 5)

Swing Games:
10 games fit here. Need to win 6. That'd be 21 wins, with 10-11 conference wins that include a couple against RPI 50-100 types, bubble competition and conference positioning, as well as some road wins. Games are chronological. Put an * next to games that I think will end up as huge games, and a # next to games I think are essentially "must win" as I try to predict 6 wins among the group. But it'll almost certainly be more interesting than that.
@ Texas
@ Iowa#
Vs. Maryland#
@ Nebraska
Vs. Northwestern#
@ Northwestern
@ Wisconsin#
@ Penn State*
@ Maryland*
Big Ten Tourney Game #1*

Gravy:
If we can meet the goals I listed above, I think these games are essentially gravy. But they're obviously important if we fall short or need to wipe out a "bad loss." These are listed in descending order of how much weight they'd carry. I think winning at Michigan State or Purdue would essentially be equal to two wins, for example.
Vs. Purdue
Big Ten Tourney Game #2
Vs. Minnesota*
@ Purdue
@ Michigan State
Big Ten Tourney Game #3-4 (Championship)

Who would trade a win @OSU for a loss today? Not me. UCLA is going to be a bubble team and we have that head-to-head. Even if Ohio State ends up on the bubble, we'll have another opportunity against them and they lack anything productive from the non-conference. Anyways, huge thanks to the squad for getting it done today and making my winter a lot more fun.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News