ADVERTISEMENT

The Fort 2015 College Football Stock Market Game!

Are you going to participate?

• Yes - Purchases need to be made by 1Sept15 In This Thread

Votes: 25 80.6%
  • No

Votes: 6 19.4%

• Total voters

wiedster9

All-American
Jan 6, 2012
This is admittedly inspired by wolverineluke’s thread about stock advice and the pre-season CFB top25 poll that just came out.

The Fort’s 2015 College Football Stock Market Game

Game mechanics: You will start with $100,000 dollars to spend in the “Market”. Each share during the IPO (initial public offering) will cost $1,000 dollars. So when the market opens in the first week of September you will have 100 shares spread across a maximum of 5 teams.

Team’s initial ranking will be their starting market share. Now for the purposes of the game a share is worth 1k at the IPO no matter where the team starts at. However, the teams will gain and lose value (+/- 1% per spot in the poll) each week based upon their initial starting position in the poll or the position where you purchased the team.

(IE: OSU starts the poll at #1 if they lose to VA Tech, and drop 8 places in the poll they are now -8% for the year. So your shares would now be worth $920 instead of $1000. However, if you purchased the shares in week 2 @ $920/per share and they win the NC (god forbid) then you would gain a total of +8% on your investment.)

Buying/Selling: Simply tell me how many shares you wish to sell of which team. I will sell them at current market price and tell you how much money is available to you after the sale. Buying will happen the same way, however the bank will round to whole shares. IE: if you have $36,000 to buy a $1,120(+12%) team then $36,000/1,120=32.14 shares. You get 32 shares and lose the .14 share or $160

You may keep less than 5 teams if you wish but you can have no more than 5. Also you must have all money invested in the market every week. This means that if you sell a stock you must then either buy a new stock or buy more shares in a current stock. If you post a sell in the thread and I don’t get a corresponding buy by the time the market closes the sell will be canceled and you will retain the stocks that you sold.

Poll Used as Market: To add a little intrigue and to get the ball rolling. I will be using the just released Coaches Poll rankings for the IPO and switching to the AP poll in week 4. Others receiving votes will count as a position counted down from 25 in the AP poll with ties counting as the position of the first tie. IE: the highest vote getter is #26 and all the (1) vote getters are counted as the same value.

If a team that you currently own stocks in drops out of the poll, I will assign there value as one position below the lowest vote getter in the AP poll. IE: If there are 56 teams that received a vote and your team was not one of them they would be valued at position 57.

Game Updates: If we get enough participation (IE: more than 5 people) to make it worth my time. I will keep a spreadsheet and updated it every week on The Fort after the games have finished.

With a thread posted on The Fort every Monday during the season updating the progress and opening the “market” for trading that week. The market will close on Wednesday at noon. If you have not made any trades (sold or bought teams) postmarked in the thread prior to that time I will keep the teams you started with and continue to update. That way if you forget you are not out of the game, instead you just held your stocks for another week.

Also, I will reply to any transactions in the thread, consider this your receipt. If I do not reply to the transaction assume I have not seen it, and PM me for confirmation. (Please allow a reasonable amount of time for me to see your transaction)

With that said if you have any questions or need clarification on a rule just ask.

So without further ado here is your 2015 Fort College Football Stocks Game Initial Public Offering:

1. Ohio State

2. TCU

3. Alabama

4. Baylor

5. Oregon

6. Michigan State

7. Auburn

8. Florida State

9. Georgia

10. USC

11. Notre Dame

12. Clemson