ADVERTISEMENT

Tell me about this theory. Join in MSU fans. My kentucky buddy

Reality Man

Heisman
Feb 9, 2002
mentions to me over the phone that Kentucky is waiting on a couple of high profile kids. This guy went to UK, etc.

He then texts me and says 'they' got a high level recruit...Surpise :).

Now, I look at the guy (Matthews) and he is from Chicago. My question to the board...is Calipari disproportionately hurting certain programs more than others programs.

Is Calipari hurting MSU more than UM who can sort of adapt with a lesser rated recruit and who in all honesty wouldn't necessarily be drawn to UM.

I know UM has lost some guys to UK but it seems like is hurts certain schools more than others.

Thoughts?

Reality Man

I wouldn't say MSU, but more like a Illinois

With no research whatsoever, has MSU ever pulled kids from Chicago? I know Izzo has been trying as of late, but purely off the top of my head I can't think of Chicago kids that he has secured. I am likely to be proven wrong, but I don't know who they would be.

A school like Illinois though, who appears to play it clean, will have the nearly impossible task of utilizing their biggest city with a lot of potential huge recruits.

Re: I wouldn't say MSU, but more like a Illinois

Alvin Ellis is from Chicago, but no an elite recruit. Elite recruits out of Chicago often involve some shady stuff. Izzo has done much better in Ohio over the years, and, of course, owned the state of Michigan until Beilein got established. Even then, a lot of the highly ranked Michigan kids want to go out of state. Izzo and Beilein have no shot.

I know Shannon Brown was from Chicago but that's the only five star recruit I recall ending up at MSU. Izzo went all out for Parker but that didn't pan out. I like Beilein's strategy of going after the 3-4 star recruits that fit his system. Beilein just does a great job of developing players...one of the best in the business. I will say it would be interesting seeing what he could do with a five star wing player. I'm surprised with his track record of developing players that more high end recruits wouldn't want to come to UM.

Brown was from Maywood, close suburb west of Chicago. Schilling was from the Chicago area and I think Nairn.

Shannon Brown is the only major recruit Izzo has landed from Chicago area and that was quite some time ago. Izzo has definitely gone all-in on and struck out with guys like Jabari Parker, Jahlil Okafor, Cliff Alexander and Tyler Ulis of late. MSU was thought to have been in great position with each one of those guys at some point in their recruitment.

It's tough to pull 5 star kids from that area. No real allegiance to local schools like Illinois and most kids usually have AAU coaches or handlers or require a coach to "play ball" to land them. Or so that's what they say. But there's no surprise that guys like Calipari and Self can routinely pull kids from that area.

As for the other MSU poster, Schilling came from Findley Prep in Nevada and Tum Tum from Sunrise Christian in Kansas. Neither were huge recruiting victories and both are and will be work-in-progress type guys.

it hurts coach who rely more on talents than those who rely less. Beilein and Ryan is in the latter group, Matta, Crean in the first. Izzo in the between.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT