ADVERTISEMENT

Sorry to see Chatman go. Wish him well and was hoping he could

Reality Man

Heisman
Feb 9, 2002
make a contribution going forward. Congrats to Spike.

Now to the real reason for the post. Well...here we are. The critical junction for JB and his program going forward. He has some nice skill players coming in and a developing Wagner. The world isn't coming to an end but he won't survive more than 2 years without....

1. A high end staff. No mistakes. Guys who can recruit and develop/teach defense.

2. New recruits because guys like Wagner are probably going to leave UM sooner rather than later. Teske/Davis better be good (at least one of them) and 4's who can offer something.

Something tells me that Watson/Simpson/Poole will all be fine players but I am less than confident that JB can get the right coaches and players for positions 4-5. It sure seems like JB has small ball down but right now JB has a lot on his plate but over the next 6 months I think his future will be defined.

Not saying he will fail. Not saying he will succeed. But the cards have been dealt and his new short term decisions/recruits/hires will determine his future.

Probably obvious but I think JB has now put himself in the position he needed to be successful in the long term. The stars are aligned to now either pass/fail.

RM

Now to the real reason for the post. Well...here we are. The critical junction for JB and his program going forward. He has some nice skill players coming in and a developing Wagner. The world isn't coming to an end but he won't survive more than 2 years without....

1. A high end staff. No mistakes. Guys who can recruit and develop/teach defense.

2. New recruits because guys like Wagner are probably going to leave UM sooner rather than later. Teske/Davis better be good (at least one of them) and 4's who can offer something.

Something tells me that Watson/Simpson/Poole will all be fine players but I am less than confident that JB can get the right coaches and players for positions 4-5. It sure seems like JB has small ball down but right now JB has a lot on his plate but over the next 6 months I think his future will be defined.

Not saying he will fail. Not saying he will succeed. But the cards have been dealt and his new short term decisions/recruits/hires will determine his future.

Probably obvious but I think JB has now put himself in the position he needed to be successful in the long term. The stars are aligned to now either pass/fail.

RM
Unless he gets away from the 4 wings and a PF, 3s are all that matter strategy, I think we're looking at fail. Rebounding and inside scoring DO matter, despite JB's disdain of both. Taking defense seriously would be a nice change, as well.
This exodus of players, along with JB running off Max and Spike, makes it look like something is very amiss with this program.
Recruiting needs to get significantly better as well.

I would tend to agree with your assessment. It's not like JB has lost some unbelievable contributors although losing Dawkins/Chatman isn't good for bench depth.

I agree that it looks like people are bailing on the program (specifically coaches) but that could be because JB recognizes a 'makeover' is needed. My OP goes to the specific point that all these changes aren't necessarily bad...but they are bad if he doesn't do something positive with them meaning a high end coach/recruiter and gets guys who can ball down low in addition to fitting his system.

I wholeheartedly agree with the let's play a small guy at the #4 and then have a PF as the center is really the problem. If JB has a smaller guy at the #4 then he better have one hell of a defensive presence at the #5 :).

Now...all this being said...it does look like JB did recruit two bigger guys for the #5. Has Wagner but his #4 spot looks like an enormous hole. JB is a heck of a coach but unless these new recruits/Wagner pan out plus a legitimate #4 then JB may be looking for work in a couple of years because the new AD and fans will turn on him quickly if UM is middle of the pack.

RM

By the way...I don't consider this last season a success at all. In fact I would put it in the fail category. UM was 'this' close to being out of the tourney again. JB can win but unless there are some changes/improvement...he won't last more than a couple more years (goodwill). He get's it.

I would tend to agree with your assessment. It's not like JB has lost some unbelievable contributors although losing Dawkins/Chatman isn't good for bench depth.

I agree that it looks like people are bailing on the program (specifically coaches) but that could be because JB recognizes a 'makeover' is needed. My OP goes to the specific point that all these changes aren't necessarily bad...but they are bad if he doesn't do something positive with them meaning a high end coach/recruiter and gets guys who can ball down low in addition to fitting his system.

I wholeheartedly agree with the let's play a small guy at the #4 and then have a PF as the center is really the problem. If JB has a smaller guy at the #4 then he better have one hell of a defensive presence at the #5 :).

Now...all this being said...it does look like JB did recruit two bigger guys for the #5. Has Wagner but his #4 spot looks like an enormous hole. JB is a heck of a coach but unless these new recruits/Wagner pan out plus a legitimate #4 then JB may be looking for work in a couple of years because the new AD and fans will turn on him quickly if UM is middle of the pack.

RM

By the way...I don't consider this last season a success at all. In fact I would put it in the fail category. UM was 'this' close to being out of the tourney again. JB can win but unless there are some changes/improvement...he won't last more than a couple more years (goodwill). He get's it.
I have said this before-I get tired of UM being the scrappy, undersized team that gets destroyed inside and can only counter by being lights out from 3 point range. For some reason, JB recruits like he's at a mid-major.
There also seems to be an issue evaluating/developing talent when Chatman goes from a Top 50 kid to a nonfactor, and he has to run Doyle off after 2 seasons. It can't be 100% on the player every time, some of it has to be on the staff misevaluating/not developing players.

Last edited:

RM
He left because playing time no plays for the big me the Guards take all the shots

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT