ADVERTISEMENT

Some thoughts on some of the new recruits...

Reality Man

Heisman
Feb 9, 2002
Wheatley reminds me of Derrick Walker. More of a traditional BT TE. Can line this guy on every down because he can block and catch. He looks to be a guy who enjoys blocking. Expect lots of 2 TE sets under Harbaugh.

Higdon looks solid too. Got some wiggle and toughness. Good consolation with Weber to OSU. Running backs should prosper under this system. Disappointed UM didn't get a fullback. Would like to see Deveon Smith go to FB. Smith could be a Jarrod Bunch type player.

Perry should be productive. Something tells me he will be the steal of the class. Part of succeeding at this level is running precise routes, consistently catching the ball and being tough the slot position. I see a very productive punt returner.

The two qb's should 'push' each other. I love Malzone but Gentry has a bigger upside. What I like about Malzone is that he is cagey and anyone who beats him out is obviously going to have to be more than competent at the position. Not selling Speight or Morris short...but love the competition.

Reality Man

Agree on Perry - all said and done he could end up being a Gallon type player that probably does not amount to much early but by the time he's a RS Jr he could be quite the good one. I mentioned this elsewhere - and most folks disagree with me. I think JH's tenure will go as follows:
2015 - I think we can win 11 games (lots of tough games at home) because Hoke has left a LOT of talent that just was not coached and developed and I some how feel that they will blossom.2016 - I think we can win 10 games again - we will have the ENTIRE offense coming back in 2016 - virtually every single player and a lot of Sr on D as well...could be a special year for us.2017 - I think it will be a rough year. Most of the great players Hoke recruited will graduate and given this year's class size I think in 2017 we will be have way too much youth to win more then 7-8 games. JH's first true class (2016) will only be Soph so TBD how well they do.2018 - we return to being Michigan of old, competing, etc.
Only question is - if JH wins let's say 21 games combined in his first 2 years, does he go back to the NFL? He has a very cheap buy-out clause in his contract. If you look at his contract you can tell that this was not a longevity move but more a move to get Michigan back on track and find an amazing successor. Either way, my opinion but I am more excited about football now then I have probably been in the past 7 years. I was actually really excited about this past year - had high hopes but Hoke just continually under-delivered.

I am not worried about him leaving at all....

The guy grew up in Ann Arbor and wants his kids to experience it as well. I think at this point in his life he is looking for stability. He made his mark on the NFL.

Re: I am not worried about him leaving at all....

Originally posted by BlueCoral:
The guy grew up in Ann Arbor and wants his kids to experience it as well. I think at this point in his life he is looking for stability. He made his mark on the NFL.
That's how normal people think, not guys wired like Harbaugh, especially if they're still peaking as a coach. That's a good thing because you don't want a content comfortable coach.

Bottom line is that if Harbaugh feels like the challenges and successes as Michigan's Coach fulfills his competitive needs, he'll stay.

If at some point he feels it doesn't, then he'll find something that does.

Re: Think JH wants to win NC before thinking of the pros

Well if that's the case I hope he leaves in 3 years after winning 2 NC :)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT