ADVERTISEMENT

So what do you pick? Safety, or ceiling?

pestkan

All-League
Gold Member
Aug 2, 2015
That’s the question. Cade is capable of being an average big ten QB. He’s very Mertz-like, IMO. Fair arm, fair athleticism, but can manage a game for a team with a nice OL, good backs, and a solid defense. Cade is not going to put a team on his back and win games for you, he’s also not going to give them away. He’s a good player, he does not have the tools to be elite.

JJ has every tool. He is a far better athlete, much stronger arm. He’s also 18 years old and had a reputation, before a weird season at IMG, as a “gunslinger.” The pass he made yesterday was AWESOME, it was also insane in terms of risk. Tell me how many times a QB scrambles 14 yards to the right sideline, then throws an almost 70 yard pass (consider it is right sideline to almost the left sideline) and it turns out with anything but misery? It’s extremely rare.

So, here’s the question: I would bet a lot of money cade will turn the ball over less than JJ in equal opportunities. I also feel strongly JJ elevates the ceiling of the offense immensely. His arm talent is second to very few in college football. Kid has tremendous confidence. do you go with safe and steady, or roll the dice on a transcendent arm?

I vote JJ. I don’t think this team has the talent on defense, especially on the interior and at corner, to be a true contender. I think with Cade we can play it safe and win 8 games give or take one, but have a very limited ceiling, albeit with a decent floor. I think JJ can get hot for a half and steal a win against an elite opponent, be that PSU, OSU, etc. I think he’s assuredly the future and this is a season to build for that, not delay it.

if I’m JH, I go all in on McCarthy. I’m sure I’ll get smashed for this take, and I’ll root like crazy for Cade if he stays the guy, but, this isn’t a championship Michigan team. 2022 with a returning starter in JJ?

Could finally be “the year.”

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News