ADVERTISEMENT

Insider Scoop: Latest Intel On Anthony Campanile...

EJ Holland

Recruiting Monkey
Apr 25, 2019
Chicago
Here are some notes I've gathered on Michigan LB coach Anthony Campanile over the last 24 hours.

*** I spoke to a source that is plugged in with New Jersey football, and he told me Anthony Campanile has in fact been offered a job at Rutgers. The co-DC position obviously makes the most sense, and I'm told Campanile would not leave Michigan for a lesser title. The source told me that it's pretty much a done deal that Campanile is going to take the job. New Jersey is obviously home for Campanile, his brothers coach in the state and he is familiar with new head coach Greg Schiano.

*** The source said 'pretty much a done deal' but there is still a chance that Campanile stays at Michigan. He gets paid well in Ann Arbor, and I'm told the decision is weighing heavily on him. Campanile has been actively recruiting for Michigan and from everything I've been able to gather, he hasn't given prospects or their families any indication that he's leaving UM.

*** I actually had a chance to talk to Dale Mullings, father of Michigan commit Kalel Mullings, earlier tonight. Campanile stopped by to see Kalel in Boston this week, and the two had some very positive conversations. The Mullings family has known Campanile since his days at Boston College, and there is a certain trust level there. From talking to Dale, I don't think the Mullings family got the impression that Campanile is leaving.

*** Here is an interesting curve ball. I'm told Arizona is interested in bringing on Campanile as its defensive coordinator. However, I don't think Campanile would have interest in leaving Michigan unless he gets a DC job in the Northeast i.e. Rutgers or Boston College. Arizona really doesn't make sense, but it's something to monitor.

*** How would a Campanile departure affect recruiting? The aforementioned Mullings is locked in regardless, and I wouldn't really worry about any of Michigan's other 2020 linebacker commits. Campanile obviously has strong ties in New Jersey and played a key role in landing four-star safety Jordan Morant, who plays under Campanile's brother, Vito Campanile, at Bergen Catholic. But I don't think his departure would doom Michigan. Like I said earlier tonight, I feel good about Morant sticking with UM. I do think Campanile leaving would cause Michigan to lose a bit of an edge for underclassmen prospects, especially a guy like 2021 Rivals100 defensive lineman Tywone Malone. But again, I don't think it would have much of an impact this cycle.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News