ADVERTISEMENT

Saw this somewhere else and I don't understand the term...

Reality Man

Heisman
Feb 9, 2002
In relation to Hawkins.

He is a true red-zone target that adjusts to the football and makes plays at the highest point. He has big hands and uses them well to catch the ball. He is not a playmaker, but does flash the ability to make moves to get behind the secondary and get open down the field.

I am genuinely confused. If a wr catches the ball and moves the chains or get yards after contact....isn't he a playmaker?

Why is a guy like Gallon less a playmaker than Braylon Edwards. Explain to me what the original author meant to say. Was is that Hawkins isn't a deep threat? That Hawkins isn't a big play threat?

Reality Man

That author used the term "playmaker" correctly. Not saying I agree, but that's just the way the term "playmaker" has evolved. It's the guy who catches 55 yard TDs or breaks 4 tackles to turn a loss of 2 into a gain of 33. Not the guy who always makes the catch 12-yards downfield but gets tackled 2 yards later.

Think Marques Colston or Antowin Boldin. That's the NFL-level analogy for Edwards here.

Question: Which playmaker would you prefer.

Player A: Catches a 8 yard slant and turns it into a 40 yard gain.

Player B: Catches 7 passes for 65 yards and has a red zone score.

Seems like Player B is more productive which lends itself to be described as a play maker. He makes MORE plays. Just confused. Play maker is different than big play threat. Note the difference. Player A can make a big play..note the keyword Big. How about explosive or dynamic or exciting.

I can't recall the adjective to describe Anthony Carter...electric? I hear you michnittlion.

Reality Man

That author used the term "playmaker" correctly. Not saying I agree, but that's just the way the term "playmaker" has evolved. It's the guy who catches 55 yard TDs or breaks 4 tackles to turn a loss of 2 into a gain of 33. Not the guy who always makes the catch 12-yards downfield but gets tackled 2 yards later.

Think Marques Colston or Antowin Boldin. That's the NFL-level analogy for Edwards here.
But the writer contradicts himself. Says Hawkins can get behind the secondary and get open down the field, but NOT a playmaker? That makes 0 sense. Did bone doc or his g/f roaring f*ck write that?

Question: Which playmaker would you prefer.

Player A: Catches a 8 yard slant and turns it into a 40 yard gain.

Player B: Catches 7 passes for 65 yards and has a red zone score.

Reality Man

Ideally you have both, of course. :)

I can't find the play-by-play on line to verify this, but if I remember right, before ANY of the Braylon Edwards heroics in the 2004 Michigan State game, Jason Avant had a clutch 3rd down reception on the drive where U-M ultimately kicked a field goal (moving the score from 27-10 to 27-13 ... the onside kick came right after the field goal).

No Avant catch there, it's 4th down and perhaps that U-M drive stalls entirely. MSU wins and there is no Braylon highlight reel of heroics.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT