ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting

Nov 28, 2014
Mobile, Al
I enjoy following recruiting. I get excited when UofM lands a good recruit, I get a little bummed when a recruit decommits, especially if it's a recruit that definitely has the makes to be great in the Big House.

The thing that bothers me the most is how some recruits go about there recruiting process. And I don't mean making official visits or in home visits. I mean the ridiculous amount of attention that they draw to themselves via social media and things like this. Now I know not all recruits are like this, and I'm sure I could word my feelings a lot better. But do you guys get what I'm saying?
Also, here's a thought. I personally think recruits should not be able to decommit once they've made a verbal committment. Now I know this will probably not happen, but if this were the case it would get rid of that problem. Recruits would not jump the gun on committing, and then decide to decommit after a supposedly better offer came along. Maybe an earlier signing day would be good? I dunno.
What do you guys think?

Bo Pelini said once a recruit "commits" he should also sign

a Letter of Intent as well. This allows the coaches to focus on non signed kids and have a better understanding of recruiting needs. He said it would also prevent colleges from issuing multiple "offers" knowing very well they would not take the kid. And it would free assistant coaches from recruiting 7-24 and focus on coaching.

The whole process is a circus...but honestly what process doesn't get turned into a circus when you mix in 17-18 year old teenagers?

Also, were you solidly confident about every decision you made when you were that age? Neither was I and I never had the pressure of being a top football recruit.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

I have heard talk about an early signing period for quite some time. Now the only thing like it is enrolling early.

We also have to remember that these are kids that are 4-5 years away from being able to have a leagal drink, and they are being recruited by 10-25 of the best salesmen in the world.

I think an early signing period would be good with stipulations like a kid could get out of it if there is a major coaching change (head coach or position coach), If both sides agree, NCAA violations / penalties, or other big event (like PSU).

Recruiting is giving 17 year old kids their first taste of fame...

of course they are gonna suck it up.

I think early signing is a terrible idea. Unless you publicly declare no kid can commit before that time as well.

Coaches break contracts all the time, why should we support a double standard for the student.

agreed and would like to amplify why not release players

whenever a coach is fired without cause (except wins).

How do blame the recruits for the ridiculous amount of attention they get, whether they draw it on themselves or not?

There is a multi-million dollar industry just in college recruiting that follows their every move. Millions of grown adults not associated with any university (like yourself and many others on the various posting boards) are following them. Factor in all the different recruiting services, magazines and boards etc... Not to mention all the attention they get from all the coaches, both head and assistant coaches across the country. Plus all the all star game attention they get. I think there is now like 200 different all american games (I'm exaggerating, but it keeps growing). Then add in the attention they get from just being a superstar high school athlete...people from the hometown, other high school players and coaches, girls, parents, hanger-ons, you name.

Then we wonder why they act like spoiled brats and crave attention.
confused0024.r191677.gif

I don't really follow recruiting. Yeah I'll look who has committed, but have no clue who the top guys around the country, other teams recruits or even guys the U-M are targeting, but I'm sure I'm in the minority.

This post was edited on 1/30 9:50 AM by Knuckles101

I don't blame the young men for enjoying the process. It's their time in the spotlight so why not enjoy it. I get bummed when a player flips on NSD, and you're left with no time to find a replacement for that player. ND losed a signed LOI player before the first day of spring ball to UCLA. It set a bad precedent for college football. It could now become a recurring problem for any school.

Isn't a big part of the problem all of us on these Recruiting/Message Boards? We crave the information, analyze and speculate everything said about and by these prospects, and fuel the Monster at ESPN, Scout, Rivals, etc... that makes these kids "big college football stars", before ever playing a down or even participating in a practice as a college football player.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT