ADVERTISEMENT

Question on Gattis’ Route Trees

n8wildey

Senior
Apr 27, 2009
So there has been a lot of discussion about Cade missing open receivers streaming down the field or throwing late. Those are often evident even when I’m hammered watching the game live. We have been waiting for Gattis to scheme his receivers open based on the route tree. That seemed to happen against Wisconsin on numerous occasions. There have been a few other games where a receiver is wide open and Cade hasn’t seen them.

So when you look at it, who is to blame? Some of these plays were still successful but not home runs that we could’ve had. Cade is going through his progressions and sometimes appears to be looking the safety off, leading to late throws. But is this because his progressions are not designed right? Is it pre-snap reads that dictate his progressions?

I’m not trying to assign blame as much as I am trying to figure out how potent this offense could be if the right reads are made and the ball is delivered at the right time. Anticipating a receiver to come open is one of the hardest tasks for a QB, maybe Cade doesn’t excel at that or he had other progressions to go through before he looked up to see Wilson and the stutter step before he blew by the receiver.

I don’t know if this is all a timing thing, or if it’s something that we can tweak schematically and fix it right away. Too many times have I seen Gattis put a bunch of speed in the same space. He doesn’t seem to be doing that as much this year, but maybe he’s still figuring out where to go with the ball. Thoughts?

Reactions: sackmaster
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News