ADVERTISEMENT

Pretty Obvious Harbaugh is Re-Imagining His Offense...

Shorty06

Michigan Man
Jun 25, 2001
Detroit area
In my opinion, it seems pretty clear that we are moving towards a more open, RPO based offense. I know many of you will be skeptical but hear me out.

The play calling and offense drove everyone nuts this year but the fact is we had a new QB, a new OL, and a team that needed to win. Clearly, Harbaugh did take steps to implement some RPO this year. However, he clearly felt that the best way to win with this team was, to play conservative offensively and leave it to his defense. Yes, we got burned by ND (I think we beat them 9/10 times if it isn't the first game of the year) and OSU but we did win 10 games playing this way.

So why I do think we will open it up next year and going into the future?

1) Returning Offensive Personnel - Year 2 w/Shea (Assuming he comes back); Whole O-Line Back (Stueber got experience); Big Time Talent at Receiver/TE; but NO Cowbell type RB (Outside of maybe True Frosh Charbonnet) - Everyone has a year of experience and they will have another off-season to implement more RPO w/out breaking in a ton of new players.

2) Defensive Turnover - With a boatload of turnover expected on the Defense, Harbaugh can no longer just rest on the fact that his defense will let him win games by grinding it out. They are going to need to be more aggressive offensively and score points to win.

3) Recruited Personnel (BIGGEST INDICATOR) - Look at the type of kids we have taken over the last few recruiting cycles. After a quick review, I think its pretty clear, that this offense is headed in a different direction. Look at the type of players we have recruited or brought in at QB, RB, and WR.
- Dual-Threat QBs (Patterson, McCaffery, and Milton)
- WRs that are converted QBs or Undersized Speed Merchants (Slot Types) who can be good bubble-screen/YAC Receivers (Barrett, Bell, Jackson,Sainstril, and G. Johnson)
- RBs who are smaller but are explosive, cut back types, who can catch the ball out of
backfield (Turner and attempted recruitment of Eric Gray)..

Thoughts?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News