ADVERTISEMENT

OT: the perils of having a daughter studying abroad (long and probably boring)

Fritzie

Michigan Man
Gold Member
Jul 2, 2001
Our daughter is studying in London and on her first full weekend there she and her flat mates decide to go to Amsterdam for a long weekend-of course. So they get cheap Veuling Airlines flights, cheap but clean hotel, and have a really great experience. I'm relieved and happy they could handle everything and make all the arrangements and nothing bad (that I know about lol) happened. Get to the airport tonight to leave (a little tense cause her class tomorrow was moved over the weekend to 9:00AM from 2:00PM ugh) and my husband calls up a flight tracker and ugh it says flight cancelled. But the Veuling site says it's a go and the people at the airport assure my daughter the flight is still going. They even announced a slight change in the boarding time, they were going to board earlier. You probably see where this is going-of course about 5 minutes before boarding they announce it's cancelled. They are told to go to the transfer desk (Veuling), and after about 45 minutes in line were told the first flight to London is Wednesday and their only alternative was the bus. I am assuming a discount flyer like Veuling isn't going to have an arrangement with, say KLM, to book passengers under these circumstance so they go the refund route. Or maybe there really were no flights. So the girls book tickets, race across town to the bus station, make the bus with minutes to spare and are now nearing Calais. It's approximately 11 hours total and arrives at 7:45AM. I am impressed they were able to do this-one of the goals of the trip was self sufficiency so they have been tested, both with the successful parts of the trip and then this not so fun ending! But ugh now I am going to be up for hours waiting to hear that the ferry arrived safely, then the bus arrived safely, etc. Sorry, I guess I'm just venting. I keep telling her "it's an adventure!" and all will be fine but ugh. I'm stressed.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News