ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Poll...did we really land on the moon?

Did we land on the moon?

• Yes.

Votes: 348 86.6%
  • No

Votes: 54 13.4%

• Total voters

SteveQHouston

All-American
Jun 25, 2001
Houston and Moscow
I mentioned in another post that as a NASA employee I often get asked about the existence of UFOs and ETs. But by far, the most common question (especially from Russians when I'm in Moscow) is, did NASA really land on the moon?

I can't say that I'm surprised that there are many who still don't to believe it. There are lots of people out there who love conspiracy theories, and this is one of the more popular ones. I, myself, still don't believe that Oswald acted alone, but what do I know? :) However, after talking to a couple of these people, it quickly became clear that many of the reasons they site either come from misconceptions, or are just based on a lack of information on what really happened.

For example, one guy told me once that there's no way the astronauts could have launched in such a small and flimsy vehicle like the lunar module and then flown all the way to the moon in it. I answered that they didn't "launch and fly all the way to the moon" in the lunar module, but in a larger spaceship, but he wouldn't listen.

Another common reason is "in the photos, the shadows don't fall at the same angle, proving that there's a light source closer than the sun." Yes, but if the ground itself is uneven, the shadows will fall at different angles no matter what the distance of the light source.

As for the Russians I mentioned earlier, I can usually convince them when I site their own scientists and engineers who all agree that we landed on the moon. They were preparing their own missions at the time, and they knew what was technically possible. They just didn't have the money. Plus, if your satellite dish is pointing at the moon and you're getting a signal, then you know that signal is coming from the moon.

Anyone on the Fort ready to admit that they don't believe and would be willing to share why they think so? I'd be happy to have a civil conversation and provide any technical rationale to any questions/doubts you may have. I'm not here to judge, but to educate. Or you can just vote below if you want to stay anonymous. :)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News