ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Paying College Athletes [an alternative approach]

Hypothetical: If college athletes were paid which would you prefer?

• Paid for likeness (sell jerseys, apparel, autographs etc.)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Salary cap for school discretion with a minimum salary

• Unregulated- schools can write checks without penatly ($200,000 for a 5-star recruit)

• Other [explained below]

• Total voters

hhistoryteach

Gold Member
Nov 27, 2017
My students are researching and reading editorial articles from the New York Times, Wall Street Journal, and Washington Post and writing an editorial after researching a topic of interest to them.

One in particular picked the issue of paying college athletes and he came up with a solution I haven't heard before (but seems pretty common sense so it most likely is already out there)

Part 1: Create a regulated equal stipend
He said that the NCAA should create a monthly stipend equivalent to the revenue generated by that sport (i.e. Football and basketball players have a higher monthly stipend than Water Polo or Tennis)--side note I disagreed with the logistics of this but let him continue.

Part 2: Receive monthly check
Athletes receive a monthly check (for argument sake lets say $2,000). However a condition being it is used for educational purposes (i.e. if must be used in conjunction with Part 3)

Part 3: Teach financial literacy
This was the part I thought was most interesting. Students should then have a mandated financial literacy class where they use that money to invest in stocks, open savings account, and create budget plans to see how to create future wealth and how long a set value would last (how long can you really live off a 3 million dollar signing bonus if you dont get another contract).

Overall an interesting concept...

He did some solid research and they haven't submitted their annotated bibliographies yet so I haven't seen his direct sources but if interested he did find some pretty interesting data on the topic, most of which I am sure you agree with

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News