ADVERTISEMENT

OT - Help for a Client's Son

jdharkrider

Senior
Gold Member
Sep 23, 2003
New York
We've probably all had these questions in one way or another -

Son of a client was wait listed at Michigan and also got into University of Wisconsin (Madison), University of Colorado (Boulder) and Boston University. He wants to go to the Business School.

Not sure what I can do to help him get into Michigan (but I'm trying) but my question is which of the other schools is better. His son wants to work at Goldman (so it's already a tough slog) and my view is that if you can't get into an elite school (Harvard, Stanford) you are better off at a Big State School rather than a mid-tier Private School. In my experience, the smartest kids in a state can end up a school like Michigan, but there's close to a zero chance that the smartest kid in Boston is at BU (he's at Harvard or MIT). All it means is he's rich and couldn't get into about 20 private schools.

I was clearly not the smartest kid anywhere, but I went from Michigan to Skadden, Arps (which is as close to Goldman as you'll get) and there are tons of Michigan people on Wall Street. And I'm sure I've seen more applications from Wisconsin or any other big state school than mid tier private schools.

Everybody agree Wisconsin is better than BU? Should he then try to transfer to Michigan? Any chance of getting into Michigan off the wait list?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News