ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Grill advice

Cal Varnsen

Michigan Man
Gold Member
Aug 19, 2008
I've got a Vieluxe that's about 12 years old. It was Weber's short-lived foray into the luxury market. It's a beast. All stainless steel and huge.

When it was new, it was a beauty. It could get up to 575 degrees easily and I could cook for block parties, make the entire meal for a dinner party of 12 or feed the entire lacrosse team in about 15 minutes.

Now the fixtures are starting to rust out and she can't get up to more than 450 without a long ramp up (and, usually, a warm day). She needs a complete overhaul. I think I need a welder to come in, take the old fixtures out, and weld a new set in.

Anyone have any experience with anything like this? Is it just a stupid idea? I hate to get rid of her -- when she can keep the pressure up, you can turn out a massive amount of food quickly.

Otherwise, anyone have any thoughts on a new platform? How quickly does a green egg heat up (we grill a lot on weeknights but I don't have a lot of time; that's why I went to the dark side and started using gas.)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News