ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Getting our 1st family dog. Dog Lovers: need advice on dog food, Healthy treats, etc...

goblue2185

Senior
Gold Member
Jun 10, 2006
So we have decided to get our first family dog, and after much research and consideration, we have chosen to go with a Weimaraner. My wife has been very, very hesitant to get a dog. That mostly stems from the fact that we have young children, but she also has a fear of aggressive dogs, and a fear that the dog may not respect her territory/dominance (my wife has many concerns about finally getting a dog; don't get me started). I also know that SHE will likely form the strongest bond with the dog, and she dreads the eventual day that the dog passes and our family's inevitable heartbreak.

Her and I both grew up with dogs, so it is not a totally new adventure for us, but it has been 10-15 years since either of us has had a dog. And, again, we have young kids.

So after years of me prodding about a dog, she has finally opened up to the idea. A Weimaraner essentially checks all of the boxes for our family's wants/needs and our lifestyle (and gives my wife security from some of the concerns she has; something that a mutt/mixed breed wouldn't). So before anyone says "adopt"... I get it, I really do. But save it. Although we looked at our local adoption facilities, we are going in a different direction.

We met the pups on Monday night, and we will be bringing home our girl in about 10 days. So excited.

With all of that said, we are definitely doing our due diligence to find the best, healthiest, high-quality ingredient food for our dog. Same with the treats. Specifically for large breed dogs, and large breed puppy food.

So I turn to The Fort for its infinite wisdom. I know there are A LOT of dog lovers on this board who have researched different dog foods and treats. What brands would you recommend? What brands would you advise against?

Additionally, any advice at all for first time (as adults/parents) dog owners, regardless of your dog's breed, would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News