ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Cord Cutting

SOHOAFFAIR

Heisman
Dec 30, 2005
New York
Doing a renovation where my main directTV box is located - had to unhook it all so going without traditional TV for 2 weeks

Got me researching a bit

Seems like HULU live TV or YouTube Live TV would cover every Michigan game (BTN, FS1, Fox, ABC, ESPN, ESPN2) - about 50 channels live TV each - signed up for free trial for 7 days with my connection out - actually watched the Super Bowl on it last night - looked just like it would with DirectTv - no issues

Realized my family mostly uses Amazon Fire Stick for Amazon/Netflix programming and we really only watch traditional TV for sports, occasional CNN/news, live award show and maybe 3-4 shows which are all available on the above live TV/on demand libraries

You can add HBO and Showtime for about 10-15 each with Amazon Prime

Cost is about $60-70 (40 for sub and 20 extra for the HBO and showtime add-ons) - my directTV overall bill is about $170 - about $100 savings - helps that the non-DirectTv is a flat fee where you pay for boxes for the traditional route

Main issues - these streaming apps don't have NHL Network or MLB Network - I would be paying for the MLB package with either DirectTV or the app on Fire Stick, but I enjoy having the satellite for the YES Network (Yankees games) - you only get the pre and post game show & game with the channel vs the MLB package which only shows the game - I also hate the "commercial break" screen with the MLB package vs the channel itself just has the local commercials from that area - feels more like you're watching tv

Basically deciding between paying $1200 a year ($100 a month) more to watch baseball pre and post game shows - the RSN (regional sports networks) is my holdup - I know all are for sale right now and Amazon may be buying them, which would 100 percent solve my issue

Anyone hearing/know anything on the RSN sales? Any solutions to close this $1200 gap - the non-traditional route is so much cheaper and everything else is covered

Last edited:
Reactions: aysnow5
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News