ADVERTISEMENT

One advantage vs Texas that is not being talked about enough...

mc3022

Sophomore
Silver Member
Nov 2, 2023
I see a very one-sided question being asked by both UM and non-UM fans alike: How is Wink Martindale going to adjust his defense to the college game? It's a fair question, but what should be equally asked is how are teams going to adjust to Wink Martindale's defense?

It's not a coincidence that our success vs these high-scoring offenses the past three years, heavily reliant on post-snap reads (RPOs, WR option routes, etc.), has been due in part to our NFL style of defense - I believe this year it will no different under Wink.

Mixing coverages and blitzes and having an unpredictable defensive read is the RPO/option route killer - It's why Lane Kiffin always puts up crappy numbers against Bama and Georgia, Why TCU only put up 7 against Georga two years ago, etc. etc. etc. Outside of TCU, our defenses have dominated this style of offense.

Wink Martindale has been sitting in his office watching film these past three months, and I guarantee you Oregon, Texas, and OSU films have been watched the most.

Specific to Texas, mixing coverages with Wink's creative blitz packages against a quarterback who struggles with his footwork like Ewers does, will also be a huge advantage. It will be an exciting chess match on that side of the ball for both teams.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.