ADVERTISEMENT

No one wants to talk about the game?

Lake Tahoe Spartan

All-League
Sep 7, 2008
What say you? Early in the week I was leaning heavy toward Michigan. As the week goes on I feel better about MSU. What do you guys think?

Based upon what I've seen up to this point......I expect something like 10-7/13-10 at the half. Michigan D takes control in the 2nd half in route to 24-10/27-13 final.
I do think Lewerke has some upside, but he's kinda high risk high reward so I expect the Michigan D to get him to turn it over. My concern is to shut down LJ Scott & the Spartan run game. They ran on M a bit too much last season.

Offensively I expect
M to plod ahead & make enough plays......capitalize on opportunities the D presents to put up 24-27 points.

What say you? Early in the week I was leaning heavy toward Michigan. As the week goes on I feel better about MSU. What do you guys think?

Michigan wins...

There's a great post on The Fort shooting down Bunker criticism of Michigan's D and schedule.

Any Sparty criticism of M's sked is just plain laughable. MSU doesn't travel outside of Michigan until Oct. 14th.

The Nation's 65th best D (Iowa) held MSU to 300 yards - - at home - - and considering the one team MSU played that is legit beat Sparty by 20 -- at night and at home -- the Spartan confidence is funny stuff.

"Michigan has held their 4 opponents an average of 212 yards under their average yards per game outside of Michigan."

I don't think Comp and Spartanmag posters know this. If they do, and dismiss it, what has MSU done that's comparable?

---> Nothing.

Sparty bobbled the ball and broke down against low-pressure ND and now on the road, at night - MSU's first road game - they're going to do better against an even better D and high pressure?

Really???

Michigan is giving up an average of 3.5 points in the second half of games.

This is a fast defense and MSU won't face a faster or better one.

The game will highlight Michigan's strengths and Spartan lack of talent and depth.

Michigan 34, Michigan State 10.

Go Blue. Always.

Reactions: Hank1990
I am more nervous about this game then years past for a couple reasons:
  1. We are a young team and it's our first night game. Kids can tend to get over-hyped for games like this and it will be interesting to see how composed the youth on the team is.
  2. Dantonio always plays us really tough, regardless of how good or bad they may be. Last year was our largest margin of victory against State - 8 points!
  3. MSU's strength happens to go against our weakness. Their front 7 is stout on D, while our O-line is anything but stout.
  4. Lewerke is the x-factor and can keep plays alive long enough to give Sparty a chance to move the ball on us.
All that said, I still think we pull this out out. I expect that punching the ball into the end-zone will be a challenge for both teams and if I had to pick a FG kicker, I would pick Nordin, so he may end up being the x-factor there. It would not shock me if Sparty won this game, nor would it shock me (infact I expect this will come down to the last possession) if it was a very close, very low scoring game. I would be completely surprised if Michigan wins by more then 7-8 points as some predict.

Of course, secretly I am hoping we win 45-7 though I doubt that will happen. Should be a good game. Off weaks are always interesting, you get healthy but you can sometimes lose rhythm. I think in his past 6 seasons the week after a bye-week JH is 5-1, hoping it goes to 6-1 but some of those games were sloppy. Last year we whooped IL, but were still sloppy, while in 2015 we almost lost to Minn if not their HC having a brain fart.

Go Blue!

Sorry for my late reply after I started this post.

Keys to the game in this order...
1. Turnover differential
2. Field position
3. What team does a better job stopping the run with their base 7 man front.
4. What team can pass to open up the run better.

MSU's offense vs UM's defense:
Michigan State Offense is 52nd ranked vs Michigan's 1st ranked defense.

What looks like a clear advantage for Michigan most likely is. Michigan State's offense is middle of the pack for this season. With only one senior starter it is hard to ask much more for this year. We already know what this offence is.

I feel Michigan's defense is being over hyped at this point in time. Florida was a gimped offensive team at the time the game was played. As they get players back Florida will do better. However, if the team UofM played had to go through the season. They would has a hard time making a bowl game. Purdue & AF are one dimensional. Cincinnati tried to run and pass but they are MAC level. Michigan State will be the first opponent that comes at you with a 50/50 attack. This year's MSU's offense will not be as good as the future version. However, I do expect them to try a full two pronged attack. Make a few plays and have some success. At this point no one has really tried to pass down field on Michigan. Cincinnati had a few open receivers behind the bd's but could not take advantage. Purdue only tried a few times, but with no running game. It was easier for UM to defend. This is one aspect I feel the talking heads in the media are glossing over. Michigan has a very good defense, however, I believe last year's version had more depth and was better overall.

Michigan's offense vs Michigan State's defense:
Michigan's offense is ranked 73rd vs Michigan State's defense ranked 5th.

What looks like a clear advantage for Michigan State may end up being. Notre Dame was the best opponent either team has played. Notre Dame was able to use the pass to open up the run on MSU's Defense. At this point ND was able to move the ball fairly well for the rest of the game. Michigan does not have as good of offense as ND. However, I do expect UM to have some success throughout the day. MSU will sellout to stopping the run and can be beat down the middle. I think O'Korn will make a few wild plays in this game.

Conclusion:
Both offenses will do better then people think. Both teams are young but MSU is the 2nd youngest team in the nation. With only 2 seniors in the starting 22 and just 4 seniors in there 44 man two-deep. It bolds well for next year, but to much to over come on the road at night. UM 27 / MSU 21

1. Turnover differential
2. Field position

What looks like a clear advantage for Michigan most likely is. Michigan State's offense is middle of the pack for this season. With only one senior starter it is hard to ask much more for this year. We already know what this offence is.

I feel Michigan's defense is being over hyped at this point in time. Florida was a gimped offensive team at the time the game was played. As they get players back Florida will do better. However, if the team UofM played had to go through the season. They would has a hard time making a bowl game. Purdue & AF are one dimensional. Cincinnati tried to run and pass but they are MAC level. Michigan State will be the first opponent that comes at you with a 50/50 attack. This year's MSU's offense will not be as good as the future version. However, I do expect them to try a full two pronged attack. Make a few plays and have some success. At this point no one has really tried to pass down field on Michigan. Cincinnati had a few open receivers behind the bd's but could not take advantage. Purdue only tried a few times, but with no running game. It was easier for UM to defend. This is one aspect I feel the talking heads in the media are glossing over. Michigan has a very good defense, however, I believe last year's version had more depth and was better overall.

What looks like a clear advantage for Michigan State may end up being. Notre Dame was the best opponent either team has played. Notre Dame was able to use the pass to open up the run on MSU's Defense. At this point ND was able to move the ball fairly well for the rest of the game. Michigan does not have as good of offense as ND. However, I do expect UM to have some success throughout the day. MSU will sellout to stopping the run and can be beat down the middle. I think O'Korn will make a few wild plays in this game.

Conclusion:
Both offenses will do better then people think. Both teams are young but MSU is the 2nd youngest team in the nation. With only 2 seniors in the starting 22 and just 4 seniors in there 44 man two-deep. It bolds well for next year, but to much to over come on the road at night. UM 27 / MSU 21

Delusion knows no bounds in the bunker apparently. Let's talk about MSU's opponents as a whole: FAR weaker overall. Defensive ranking is completely inflated due to the terrible quality of opponents sparty has played. Offense is even worse. Far, far worse

If you want to take the bunker's word as gospel on Michigan's D, go right ahead. You will be in for one rude awakening

The future may look bright for sparty: In sparty land lol

Reactions: MSU118 and Mr. Chim
Delusion knows no bounds in the bunker apparently. Let's talk about MSU's opponents as a whole: FAR weaker overall. Defensive ranking is completely inflated due to the terrible quality of opponents sparty has played. Offense is even worse. Far, far worse

If you want to take the bunker's word as gospel on Michigan's D, go right ahead. You will be in for one rude awakening

I think both teams defensive rankings are inflated because of who each has played. I did not read the bunkers take on this game. This is just my out look.

Q1:
Michigan 3
Michigan St. 3

Halftime
Michigan 10
Michigan St. 10

Q3:
Michigan 20
Michigan St. 10

Q4:
Michigan 26
Michigan St. 17

I think both teams defensive rankings are inflated because of who each has played. I did not read the bunkers take on this game. This is just my out look.
Lol except you have been a very active viewer there. Nice try-delusion knows no bounds in the bunker.

And your obsession all things Michigan seemed pretty evident based on your posting history haha

Last edited:

1. Turnover differential
2. Field position

Conclusion:

At the end of the day, I think you should generally throw all stats out for games of this nature. Great players tend to be much more focused for games like this and you could see an out of the ordinary performance as a result. Think about the Brady Hoke years and how we played Ohio State - we had no business being in any of those games and yet we were in every single one! The one game where Gardner was super-human, I think we were a 20 point underdog and on paper the game should have been over by half time. I think both teams will play hard, both teams will bring their best, and the team that best controls their emotions and stays within their schemes will likely come out on top. Youth is an equal excuse for both teams - Michigan is very young as well across the board as is MSU. Should be a good game, I am nervous but I think Michigan lands on top in a very close contest.

Bump

Your genius knows no bounds

When was the last time franklin beat Michigan??

49-10=the ultimate embarrassment!

joe ped=the biggest scum bag and college football history

AND now...he is paying for his crimes burning in hell for eternity!

PEDO state=most overrated team in college football this year

WE OWN...PEDO state!!!!!

WE OWN...PEDO state!!!!!

No, the "ultimate embarrassment" is you thinking Michigan is relevant in the college football world. Let's see, in the last ten years you've beaten Michigan State 3 times despite referring to them as " little brother". You've done a little better with Ohio State you've got 5 wins against them but you gotta go back another 10 years. Let that sink in......in 20 years you've beaten Ohio State 5 times. Since Jesus harbaugh arrived you've finished no better than 3 in the division. Michigan is a irrelevant joke. Michigan's time as a college football power is over. Today's Michigan is just one of those teams that play a good game here and there and could ruin someone else's chance at a championship.

Last edited:
James Franklin is a better coach then Harbaugh as of today based on results each has had the last 31 games.

Amy argument to the contrary is delusional.

WE OWN...PEDO state!!!!!

Reactions: zwick53

1. Turnover differential
2. Field position

Conclusion:
It looks like I was dead on with my pick. The rain storm slowed both offense down. Anyway good game. Thanks to all who replayed.

I thought the refs played a huge role in the MSU victory. And no the calls didn't go both ways. They missed 6 or 7 calls that hurt Michigan big time.

1.) Allen punches Bush - we get the penalty. Crucial blown call. - Announcers note blown call.
2.) Late hit on O'Korn by Cooper right in front of the ref - No Call - Announcers note blown call.
3.) Allan tackles Mone on long run by London - No Call
4.) Giancakos tackles Winovich on pass play to Stewart - No Call
5.) TD pass from O'Korn to Crawford called back for holding on Higden. - Funny they didn't miss this one.
6.) Allan (again) (blocks) pushes Winovich in the back after the play - No Call
7.) Campbell tees off on Bush after the play - Personal Foul - No Call

8 officials on the field and they can't call a decent, fair game. It's pathetic.

I thought the refs played a huge role in the MSU victory. And no the calls didn't go both ways. They missed 6 or 7 calls that hurt Michigan big time.

1.) Allen punches Bush - we get the penalty. Crucial blown call. - Announcers note blown call.
2.) Late hit on O'Korn by Cooper right in front of the ref - No Call - Announcers note blown call.
3.) Allan tackles Mone on long run by London - No Call
4.) Giancakos tackles Winovich on pass play to Stewart - No Call
5.) TD pass from O'Korn to Crawford called back for holding on Higden. - Funny they didn't miss this one.
6.) Allan (again) (blocks) pushes Winovich in the back after the play - No Call
7.) Campbell tees off on Bush after the play - Personal Foul - No Call

8 officials on the field and they can't call a decent, fair game. It's pathetic.

I think you're looking at this game in a pretty biased way.

As an independent viewer, there were several missed calls that went for Michigan too.

For example, I thought it was pretty clear that Bush should have been called for targeting on one of his hits...and was very lucky to avoid being kicked out of the game.
That kind of penalty would be a back breaker for Michigan.

It didn't seem like a uniquely poorly officiated game to me

I think you're looking at this game in a pretty biased way.

As an independent viewer, there were several missed calls that went for Michigan too.

For example, I thought it was pretty clear that Bush should have been called for targeting on one of his hits...and was very lucky to avoid being kicked out of the game.
That kind of penalty would be a back breaker for Michigan.

It didn't seem like a uniquely poorly officiated game to me

Unless you address each blown call and the impact it had on the game your comment means nothing.
It's too easy to say they missed calls on both sides.
I cited 7 blown calls - Review the plays and tell me Michigan didn't get screwed or cite the instances M benefitted from a blown call.
And if they did in fact miss several calls that went our way that means 8 refs missed 10-12 calls. Is that acceptable?

Unless you address each blown call and the impact it had on the game your comment means nothing.
It's too easy to say they missed calls on both sides.
I cited 7 blown calls - Review the plays and tell me Michigan didn't get screwed or cite the instances M benefitted from a blown call.
And if they did in fact miss several calls that went our way that means 8 refs missed 10-12 calls. Is that acceptable?
That holding call against MSU with 1:30 to go was an embarrassment. The sideline ref knew the only way the clock stops is if he throws a flag. He watched a pancake block, no one mistakes that as a hold, and he's a sideline ref . But he invents an egregiously bad call (probably because he was getting his ass reemed by Harbaugh all game). That gave UofM the ball back with a chance. That call was deliberate, invented, and disgusting. should have been suspendable. None of those calls you stated were that bad. How does -Funny the refs didn't miss that one- (an obvious hold) equate to the refs missing a call? WTF.

There were missed calls on both sides. Sometimes it is when a call is made or NOT made that has a major impact on the game. The inability of both teams to not run the ball seems to be the difference in the game. There were 5 turnovers on U of M and they seemed to seal outcome of the game. Why they happened is an issue for the staffs introspections and view of the game film. I might not have passed as much with the weather as bad as it was on that night. MSU won the game and that we cannot debate again the passage of another year until a time for redemption comes around.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT