ADVERTISEMENT

My Two Cents On Braiden McGregor, His Position & Ranking And His Recruitment

Brandon Brown

Michigan Man
Aug 5, 2014
It's no secret that Port Huron (Mich.) Northern junior Braiden McGregor is one of Michigan's top targets on defense and perhaps overall.

The 6-6, 250-pounder does play some standup linebacker in high school but Michigan and every other school recruiting him likes him at defensive end. As I said earlier, I've tried to talk to our favorite analyst, Josh Helmholdt, about switching him to defensive end but he's not ready to do that just yet. After this weekend's Rivals camp in Cincinnati, I'm pretty confident that he'll change his mind. I'm also quite confident that McGregor's three-star rating will be a thing of the past before too long and I've already seen enough out of McGregor to push for him to receive an invite to the Five-Star Challenge. We'll see how things go Sunday.

McGregor received a visit yesterday from at least Michigan tight ends coach Sherrone Moore. Just about the entire staff is involved in recruiting McGregor and it's clear that they want him bad. McGregor will be on campus in Ann Arbor Saturday before heading to Cincinnati for the Rivals camp on Sunday. I'll be able to catch up with him and get a full update before the camp on Sunday.

I personally think Michigan leads for McGregor right now with Notre Dame nipping at U-M's heels. The big, in-state talent has already taken an official visit to Notre Dame meaning he has four left. He may or may not take one to Michigan since it's close and he has eight other big time programs that he could use an official visit on. I don't think he's genuinely considering any schools other than Michigan, Notre Dame and Ohio State. Alabama is a bit of a dark horse because they're Alabama and because they like him at tight end. McGregor recently said that he's definitely leaning almost all the way towards defense but Nick Saban and his staff have a way of changing prospects' minds.

However it plays out, it's clear that Michigan is going to be a major player in McGregor's recruitment. The talented defender won't be making any decisions this weekend but he's getting closer and closer. In an interview not long ago, he said that he wanted to take a couple more visits before making a decision. Michigan is one of those visits.

"After [attending some camps] I’m going to hit up Ohio State and Michigan and then I think I’ll make a decision after that," McGregor explained about three weeks ago.

When the time comes, I'd put my money on Michigan.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News