ADVERTISEMENT

My thoughts on Jaylen Brown

MiamiWolv

All-League
Gold Member
Nov 2, 2006
1. Ok, the most absurd thing I've read in some quarters is how he may not get the minutes here. If he's as good as advertised (top 3 NBA pick), he's going to play a lot from day one. We have a lot of promising options on this team, but no one is at that level. Just like if Michigan signed Chris Paul, well yeah we have Derrick Walton and Spike Albrecht, but you'd be playing Chris Paul 35 minutes a game.

2. With that said, I think what's interesting here is that when Michigan is battling Kansas, Kentucky for kids, you figure their selling point (one at least) is you have a better chance to make the Final 4 there. Can't make that argument here. If Michigan gets Brown, they're a preseason top 5 type team. Heck, you could vote them #1 and not get crazy looks. You'd be talking about a rare blend of upperclassmen (Walton, Levert, Irvin) and an elite frosh.

3. The other great thing if we get Brown is I really don't see attrition. Most of the guys who would lose PT to Brown probably look at him as a 1 year guy. A year from now its very likely that Brown is gone (as well as Caris) and that PT opens right back up. If you're transferring, you're sitting a year anyway and one year from now we have the PT. So, I don't necessarily think we'll see a lot of attrition.

4. My biggest fear here is Kansas. Yeah, we all know about Calipari but the guy who has the habit of getting the guy he absolutely needs late (read into that what you will) is Self. Cliff Alexander, Andrew Wiggins, Self always seems to get that player he needs late to turn a top 15 team into a top 5 team.

5. If we get Brown, we become the favorite to win the Big 10. In fact, if we get Brown, with the guy we have behind the bench, I like our chances to cut down the nets in Houston as much as anyone.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News