ADVERTISEMENT

My thoughts are some very limited summer league...watched

Reality Man

Heisman
Feb 9, 2002
some games. Its obviously summer league but some grades. Please see #5.

1. Saw McGary the most. Gotta give him an A grade. Didn't really look that rusty and is in a perfect situation to start his career. Very little expectations to do the heavy lifting..role player on a very good team. I think OKC got one of the better players in the draft and if the draft was held today...I think he wouldn't last past the top 15 picks.

2. Saw a little bit of THJ. Looks like he is continuing his solid play from last year. Looks confident. Like he belongs. Relaxed. Didn't see him enough to give him a grade but from his statistics...should get an A grade.

3. Stauskas. Watched him. Will have a role in the NBA. Has 6th man down the line written all over him. He played hard defensively but he can be pushed around physically so he has some limitations. Saw some shots that were bricked but he seemed to be able to get his shot off even without 'picks'. Summer league...grade B. Solid.

4. GR3. Watched about a 1/4. Never saw him take a shot but was impressed that he looks physically ready and didn't seem to be overwhelmed on the perimeter defensively. Quicker than I thought. Still developing but the kid is just more of a role player. As his rep (see link) indicates..I think he prefers to defer and play efficiently within the team concept. Statistics indicate he should get a C grade but incomplete from what I saw.

5. Burke was disappointing to say the least. Looks like he turned into a mediocre shooter. He looks more like a pg passing the ball but his lack of elite athleticism and size is a problem. Looks like the same guy from last year...just an average NBA player. Grade C-.

Reality Man

http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2014/07/12/glen-robinson-iii-fighting-his-college-reputation/

No Jordan Morgan recap?

Unfortunately have to agree on Burke. He's in serious trouble in Utah w Exum there. They can play 2 guards, but if Exum is a solid passer I think people will question why. Hope Burke can turn it up a notch.

Where have you been able to watch Minnesota? I haven't

been able to find them on nba tv.

On Sunday night they had a 'bonus' game with Minny vs. Wizards?...

but I only saw the last 1/4. GR3 was playing hard..didn't see or look for JMo.

Some other thoughts on that game. LaVine never met a shot he didn't like. Oh my goodness..kid is a gunner. Probably street ball/summer league but he was not shy. Good looking player...the polar opposite of GR3 in offensive mindset.

As one poster indicated...GR3 isn't a ball hog so he didn't get many touches. He did try and drive once but good defense and he did get fouled going to the hoop on a back court. Looks like a big 2 or small 3. He will stick.

Announcer was intrigued to see him develop. Has athleticism but clearly needs to add to his offensive game.

Reality Man

Re: Where have you been able to watch Minnesota? I haven't

I saw bit's and pieces of a couple of their games. I think what NBA TV has been doing is showing them and other games in the 'replay' hours...ie, late at might or early in the morning.

Re: I knew I forgot someone.Sorry JMO. I apologize. You deserve better from me*

Reality Man, your man-crush GR3 who you think is the next coming of Lebron (joking) was terrible in the summer league. Same old - timid, incredibly physically gifted, incredibly mentally timid - not a combination that will serve him well. His +/- has been horrible as well. He is clearly a player that should have stayed in school for another 2 years...my prediction is that in 3 years he will be playing internationally. I think McGary will have the best career from the 5 players that landed in the NBA over the past 2 years.

LOL. Man crush :). For the record..I was harsh on GR3 but

recognized that he had a very good 12 games or so to close out the season. He also had a very good last game during the summer league.

You are right. GR3 should have honestly stayed another year but the kid didn't want to be in college. He is no different than tons of other kids..they have a high opinion of their game and either want money or fame or believe the college game is beneath them and/or don't like going to class.

I thought GR3 would sneak into the 1st round (didn't). He can stick but its going to be close but I can also see that he may develop. If I were his advisor...I would have told him the safe route would be to stick around and develop his game but he wanted to leave after his first year.

I think GR3 is a better NBA prospect than Morris or Harris (not by much). We will see but GR3 does have game and could wind up having a very good NBA role playing career.

Did you forget to mention his last game? I can get you the box score? In fact..I think as one Minny reporter said..he got better as the league went on.

Reality Man

Re: LOL. Man crush :). For the record..I was harsh on GR3 but

He didn't do that well in the last game either (just coach speak really). His best game was his first summer league game. I saw a couple, he's just really timid and holds back a lot. As for the comparisons - it's hard to not be better then Manny or Morris :) He has upside but he has not cracked the mental piece of the game. If GR3 has the swagger of Nik, he would be a lottery pick, but he just does not.
I still think he needs to go somewhere where he can be the man for a year or 2 - and staying at Michigan would have helped him a LOT. Perhaps he goes internationally somewhere but who knows.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT