ADVERTISEMENT

My game takeways (ND):

Adam_Ghabour

Senior
Apr 24, 2018
1. First and foremost, this team was clearly better than last years team... The QB was not an issue, the OL didn't look any better, but it also didn't look any worse given the circumstances.

2. Those circumstances are the fact that Michigan just played a really good front seven. I don't know where they'll rank nationwide when all is said and done, but they were good. Really fast and explosive and coached well. Not sure if people realize that yes, Cesar Ruiz may be great and talented, but it was his first start... Runyan and JBB may very well have improved, but the most this was ever going to be was solid. Notre Dame is good. Give them credit...

3. I personally believe Jim Harbaugh when he explained that BP was hurt and how he got hurt, but I don't think it matters. Everyone knows D Caf is a gamer and they've said it before. I think the backup job is his if it wasn't already.

4. Michigan couldn't run the ball. This is not new at all. If you look back to last season all of the running success came against bad teams. There's never been any push against good fronts. Credit to Karan Higdon for making the most of the little that he was given.

5. The new defensive players showed signs of promise. Tyree Kinnel led the team in tackles, and Brad Hawkins was third after replacing starting safety Josh Metellus. Josh Ross held his own, anbd Devin Gil made multiple plays and looked really good at times. Yes, Hawkins needs to make the play on the TD he gave up, and yes Gil needs to make the sack he missed, but overall both had good games.

6. Oliver Martin made a big confidence boosting catch. Grant Perry showed leadership with more than one big catch. Nico Collins looked solid, as did DPJ. No complaints about any of the receivers whatsoever... in the passing game. Nico Collins and Zach Gentry need to do a better job blocking. Both missed key blocks that let plays get blown up.

7. Last but not least, nothing Shea Patterson did yesterday was unexpected... both good and bad. Many fans made the mistake of just watching his highlights from last season. I instead watched every play of his season and he was as turnover prone and as reckless AT TIMES as John O'korn. So seeing him throw a bad INT and fumble the ball with 50+ seconds left on 2nd down was not a surprise at all. Nonetheless I'll take it. First game in a tough environment and he looked in control and ready to compete. Easy to play for that guy. Turnovers are really the one con, and always have been.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News