ADVERTISEMENT

Michigan's 2018 recruiting class

bluex2

Michigan Man
Gold Member
Oct 19, 2002
Had 19 players, ranked 24th on Rivals. Myles Sims transferred so it's down to 18.

Under the new redshirt rule almost the entire class is eligible to redshirt. But 9 players (half the remaining class) did not play at all or played in just 1 game:

LB Cam McGrone - 1 game (Nebraska, special teams)
TE Luke Schoonmaker - 1 game (Rutgers, TE)
TE Mustapha Muhammad - DNP
OL Ryan Hayes - DNP
DL Taylor Upshaw - DNP
DL Julius Welschof - DNP
DB Gemon Green - DNP
DB German Green - DNP
DB Sammy Faustin - DNP​

2 players made significant contributions: Ronnie Bell (WR) and Aidan Hutchinson (DE). Hutchinson will start this season.

The other 7 players played mostly in garbage time or on special teams, though some (like Mayfield & Turner) got some nice run with the backup units (it really was one of the best rule changes the NCAA has made to permit players to play up to 4 games and maintain a redshirt):

QB Joe Milton (QB 4 games)
OL Jalen Mayfield (LT 3 games)
DB Vincent Gray (special teams 2 games, DB 1 game)
RB Christian Turner (RB 3 games)
RB Ben Van Sumeran (special teams 2 games, FB 2 games)
RB Hassan Haskins (special teams 3 games)
LB Michael Barrett (special teams 2 games)
So as for the 2019 season, the biggest contributions from this class should be as follows:

DE Aidan Hutchinson - starter
OL Jalen Mayfield - probable starter
DB Vincent Gray - probable starter, major contributor at minimum
RB Christian Turner - possible starter, major contributor at minimum
WR Ronnie Bell - backup that sees significant action (2 TDs last season)
LB Cameron McGrone - backup that gets lots of snaps, crowded position
TE Mustapha Muhammad - backup fighting for snaps
TE Luke Schoonmaker - backup fighting for snaps
QB Joe Milton - 3rd QB, hopefully sees few snaps but enough to stay happy
So by my estimate that's 6 players who will make significant contributions/play significant snaps (Hutchinson, Mayfield, Gray, Turner, Bell, McGrone). The Green boys and Faustin are wildcards since I have no idea how good they are, but the sheer number of players necessary for the second might necessitate that they play some. But I'm not expecting anything from the three of them.

Overlooked guy I'm excited to watch develop is Schoonmaker. I just think he's a really good athlete (HS QB) who has a lot of potential as a matchup problem in this new offense.

Non-overlooked guy I'm excited to watch is Mayfield. Lots of hype around the kid. Hopefully he can be the next great Michigan LT.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News