ADVERTISEMENT

Michigan toughs out another close one, defeating Mercyhurst ....

Puckhead

All-American
Jun 4, 2001
3-2 to sweep the weekend. Not a bad way to start the season. Some good things from the weekend and some things to work on so the coaches will be happy.

The freshmen seem to be settling in fairly quickly and they look to be a talented group. They show some flashes of the skill they bring, but then they also do some things that make you go, oh yea, freshmen. Nothing every other team isn't dealing with, but as a group they look like they could be a really productive class.

I don't think anything is settled in goal yet. Nagelvoort only gave up two goals, but there were a couple of times where you found yourself holding your breath wondering if that red light was going to go on. So I'm guessing we will continue to see the back and forth until somebody shows they should be the guy all the time.

The defense looked pretty good this weekend, better than it has at the start of seasons the last few years. They seem to take care of the puck better, don't make nearly as many bad decisions, and are clearing the puck quicker and cleaner than the last couple of years. The biggest surprise for me (pleasant surprise) is De Jong. At least to me he looks like he has really stepped up his game. If that holds up through the season that would be a big boost to the defensive corp.

Michigan has always had some fast players, but this team just looks fast. Coupled with the obvious skill they have this could be a very dangerous team as the year goes on. While the schedule is really choppy to start the season, with that long break after the exhibition game, now three weeks on, then another long break to start November, I wonder if the extra practice time when they can just work on player development without having to spend the week preparing for a game might actually help (if it hasn't already) to get the freshmen integrated into the team.

Does anyone know if Dancs is hurt? I just realized tonight that he didn't play this weekend. I didn't look at the line chart Friday, but I did look tonight and it was a strange one indeed. They didn't dress the third goalie (they did Friday night). They dressed seven defensemen and they were a forward short, with Dancs on the scratch list.

Thanks for the info Puckhead. Have to be happy getting the early season sweep to start the season as Mercyhurst were playing their 5th & 6th games of the year. Have to believe improvement will happen as the year goes on and these Freshman get more games under their belts.

3-2 to sweep the weekend. Not a bad way to start the season. Some good things from the weekend and some things to work on so the coaches will be happy.

The freshmen seem to be settling in fairly quickly and they look to be a talented group. They show some flashes of the skill they bring, but then they also do some things that make you go, oh yea, freshmen. Nothing every other team isn't dealing with, but as a group they look like they could be a really productive class.

I don't think anything is settled in goal yet. Nagelvoort only gave up two goals, but there were a couple of times where you found yourself holding your breath wondering if that red light was going to go on. So I'm guessing we will continue to see the back and forth until somebody shows they should be the guy all the time.

The defense looked pretty good this weekend, better than it has at the start of seasons the last few years. They seem to take care of the puck better, don't make nearly as many bad decisions, and are clearing the puck quicker and cleaner than the last couple of years. The biggest surprise for me (pleasant surprise) is De Jong. At least to me he looks like he has really stepped up his game. If that holds up through the season that would be a big boost to the defensive corp.

Michigan has always had some fast players, but this team just looks fast. Coupled with the obvious skill they have this could be a very dangerous team as the year goes on. While the schedule is really choppy to start the season, with that long break after the exhibition game, now three weeks on, then another long break to start November, I wonder if the extra practice time when they can just work on player development without having to spend the week preparing for a game might actually help (if it hasn't already) to get the freshmen integrated into the team.

Does anyone know if Dancs is hurt? I just realized tonight that he didn't play this weekend. I didn't look at the line chart Friday, but I did look tonight and it was a strange one indeed. They didn't dress the third goalie (they did Friday night). They dressed seven defensemen and they were a forward short, with Dancs on the scratch list.

Sorry, Steve. Promised Michael I'd put a recap both here and on The Fort. I'd much rather hear your thoughts on the game than regurgitate mine. :)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT