ADVERTISEMENT

Michigan State & their chances...

tarun262

All-League
Gold Member
Apr 9, 2007
I have been a college football fan for almost 25 years now and love watching and following the sport. Over the past 25 years if you look at the teams that have either won or made it to the national championship game, they have to have 1 or more of 3 things that have to happen for them:
  1. They are just completely dominant and no other team can match them regardless of any scheme, etc.
  2. Murphy's law does not apply to them - every opportunity just goes right for them and it just works
  3. An individual(s) carries them based on just out-of-this-world performance
When you look at pure dominant teams you think Nebraska in the early 90's, USC in 2004, Bama in 2012 & 2009, FSU in 1999, Michigan in 1997, Miami in 2001, even OSU last year. Michigan in 1997 was both dominant on D and they had Charles Woodson who individually was spectacular as well. Then you look at teams like Notre Dame back in 2012, and that was all about Manti-Teo basically willing his team to 12-0 before losing to Bama. Even in that Michigan game he had 2 INTs where the ball bounced off the WR's head and landed in his hand and he has so many of those types of plays that year where he was individually nothing short of spectacular.

Well, that brings me to MSU this year - MSU falls into the "Murphy's law does not apply to them". Other then the Nebraska game, everything that can go right has gone right for them. Oregon WR is wide open and drops a sure TD in the endzone, MSU holds on to win. Michigan botches a punt that MSU returns for a TD with 10 seconds left which would not have mattered if Chesson has not dropped a sure 20 yard first down on the drive before. Rutgers spikes the ball on 4th down. Purdue's penalty kills their last second drive. Ohio State coaches have a brain fart and decide to not test MSU's secondard at all despite that being the weakest point. Iowa WR dropping a sure TD on their last drive where the ball just misses by 1/2 a yard. The point is, every team MSU has played has always been 1 play away from giving MSU 4-5 losses this year, just 1 play!

Now for the Spartan's who troll this board - this is not taking anything away from this team. The most amazing quality of MSU is that when they have these openings and opportunity, they just do not miss at all and make the most of it. I have never seen a team that in so many games is one play from being defeated only to come back and win regardless of the amount of time left. As much as I hate to say this as a Michigan fan, this just seems like Michigan State's year in football. A combination of luck, mistake free football, and the ability to capitalize on every mistake just at the right time consistently week in and week out is amazing to me. It's been pretty incredible to watch, and frustrating as a Michigan fan but you can't take away anything from them. Most other teams would like end up with at least 2-3 losses but MSU this year has just had incredible bounces and missed opportunities by other teams go their way.

This team really reminds me of the 2012 Notre Dame team (that could have lost to Purdue, Stanford, USC, and pretty much had lost to Pitt but somehow won) until they met Alabama. The biggest difference though was that Notre Dame was a 1-man team. This Michigan State team has a dominant offensive line (the 9 minute TD drive is one of the most impressive offensive drives I have seen in the past 2 decades) and a an NFL caliber WR/QB combo that will test the Alabama defense through and through so I disagree with odds-makers on favoring Bama by 9 points. I think this game plays right into MSU's hands and while I would hate to see this, I somehow think MSU keeps it close and pulls off an upset in the 4th quarter again :(

Reactions: ThatsMrSpartan2U
I give MSU all the credit. If your opponent drops the ball or has a bad game plan or the weather works for you...take advantage.

That is what MSU does. They are well coached and confident in their ability. They seem to find a way to win because they either beat you or let you beat yourself.

That is what a good team is supposed to do. I'll give you a tennis analogy. If your opponent is going to make an unforced error....why try and hit a winner. If your opponent doesn't make an error then you have to figure out how to overpower him/her or hit a winner/attack.

That is what MSU does...sort of like what Brad Gilbert wrote....Winning ugly.

RM

I'm hardly a troll as I don't think it's appropriate to come on an opponent's message board and trash them.

I think most posters here have shown general respect for MSU this year, particularly Dantonio. I think it says a lot about the majority of "Michigan Men".

I will approach this game with my Sparties the way I have all year. With very cautious optimism.

To be sure, they have found ways to win....or not lose....over and over and I think tarun's description is spot on. Say what you will about the Spartan's early games, that UM victory was the real beginning of what this team thought it was possible to accomplish. In my mind, MSU has been playing with the house's money since the Jalen-Watts TD. It's always been Dantonio's way to preach perseverance. Never give up. Never stop playing. It took several years for him to end up with a 100% team of his own that believed that. You long time UM guys know that MSU's biggest weakness was the late meltdown, penalty, turnover...what have you.... that always seemed to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. I started as kid in the Daugherty era (met the guy briefly in my freshman yr at State)....and have endured the Muddy Waters thru JL Smith years. Man...is Dantonio different.

I do not think MSU should beat Alabama. Alabama has more players across a wider swath of positions. But.....Mark Dantonio is a better coach than Nick Saban. MSU players play for MSU and Dantonio and each other. Alabama plays for each other and the team and the school too.....but really that squad is NFL players all over the field and as good as they are...are they as cohesive and selfless and committed as MSU players are? maybe? I'm not sure.

I do not expect the "Tide to Roll". The 1st quarter will decide everything. All MSU has to do (and it's a big job) is to keep "Bama off the board early and/or match them point for point early. Get through the 1st half and make "Bama think..."Oh man, these guys are everything they said they were." All we need is for just a hint...a little bit....of doubt to creep into Bama's brain. Unless the Tide runs up 21 points in the 1st qtr...MSU won't cave. They won't regardless, but if they're getting squashed...well....both sides may let off the gas a little. If MSU is within 2 TDs by the 4th qtr. they will still be in it.

I give my Spartans about a 1:3 chance of victory. If it's close late....I like my chances. If we jump out front and lead I'll be floored. I do not see a Spartan victory being anything other than another last possession make or break series. Bama' is a 9 point favorite. I'll take the Spartans and the points....but that's as confident as I'll be.

I think MSU can win if everything falls right. No TOs, and bad penalties. A Fake Punt or fake FG . Cook has a great game and they move the ball on the ground enough to keep Bama honest. If they do lose it will be by 10-12 points coming late in the game.27 -21 loss or a 27 -21 win.. "74

I have been a college football fan for almost 25 years now and love watching and following the sport. Over the past 25 years if you look at the teams that have either won or made it to the national championship game, they have to have 1 or more of 3 things that have to happen for them:
  1. They are just completely dominant and no other team can match them regardless of any scheme, etc.
  2. Murphy's law does not apply to them - every opportunity just goes right for them and it just works
When you look at pure dominant teams you think Nebraska in the early 90's, USC in 2004, Bama in 2012 & 2009, FSU in 1999, Michigan in 1997, Miami in 2001, even OSU last year. Michigan in 1997 was both dominant on D and they had Charles Woodson who individually was spectacular as well. Then you look at teams like Notre Dame back in 2012, and that was all about Manti-Teo basically willing his team to 12-0 before losing to Bama. Even in that Michigan game he had 2 INTs where the ball bounced off the WR's head and landed in his hand and he has so many of those types of plays that year where he was individually nothing short of spectacular.

Well, that brings me to MSU this year - MSU falls into the "Murphy's law does not apply to them". Other then the Nebraska game, everything that can go right has gone right for them. Oregon WR is wide open and drops a sure TD in the endzone, MSU holds on to win. Michigan botches a punt that MSU returns for a TD with 10 seconds left which would not have mattered if Chesson has not dropped a sure 20 yard first down on the drive before. Rutgers spikes the ball on 4th down. Purdue's penalty kills their last second drive. Ohio State coaches have a brain fart and decide to not test MSU's secondard at all despite that being the weakest point. Iowa WR dropping a sure TD on their last drive where the ball just misses by 1/2 a yard. The point is, every team MSU has played has always been 1 play away from giving MSU 4-5 losses this year, just 1 play!

Now for the Spartan's who troll this board - this is not taking anything away from this team. The most amazing quality of MSU is that when they have these openings and opportunity, they just do not miss at all and make the most of it. I have never seen a team that in so many games is one play from being defeated only to come back and win regardless of the amount of time left. As much as I hate to say this as a Michigan fan, this just seems like Michigan State's year in football. A combination of luck, mistake free football, and the ability to capitalize on every mistake just at the right time consistently week in and week out is amazing to me. It's been pretty incredible to watch, and frustrating as a Michigan fan but you can't take away anything from them. Most other teams would like end up with at least 2-3 losses but MSU this year has just had incredible bounces and missed opportunities by other teams go their way.

This team really reminds me of the 2012 Notre Dame team (that could have lost to Purdue, Stanford, USC, and pretty much had lost to Pitt but somehow won) until they met Alabama. The biggest difference though was that Notre Dame was a 1-man team. This Michigan State team has a dominant offensive line (the 9 minute TD drive is one of the most impressive offensive drives I have seen in the past 2 decades) and a an NFL caliber WR/QB combo that will test the Alabama defense through and through so I disagree with odds-makers on favoring Bama by 9 points. I think this game plays right into MSU's hands and while I would hate to see this, I somehow think MSU keeps it close and pulls off an upset in the 4th quarter again :(
Michigan State reminds me more of FSU last year without a Jameis Winston. They won late. They got lucky 2-3 times. They just kept winning. But when they got to the playoffs they got what was coming to them from Oregon. I'm hoping the Spartans do not suffer the same fate from Bama' this year....but my fear is they might.

Casual fans online or media members looking for a quip will point to MSU's major Big Ten wins coming by taking the lead at the end. People who actually analyze their three biggest B1G wins on film can see that MSU simply outplayed UM/OSU/Iowa, especially in the trenches. They outgained those teams 1,045 yards to 630 yards, and 57 first downs to 28. They bested all those teams in yards/play. If MSU lost any of those games they would have been kicking themselves for making dumb game-changing mistakes or not capitalizing enough on their ball movement and stout defense.

Against Oregon, they controlled the entire game at the LOS and let OU back into by getting conservative on offense at the end.

Reactions: big al 70
Casual fans online or media members looking for a quip will point to MSU's major Big Ten wins coming by taking the lead at the end. People who actually analyze their three biggest B1G wins on film can see that MSU simply outplayed UM/OSU/Iowa, especially in the trenches. They outgained those teams 1,045 yards to 630 yards, and 57 first downs to 28. They bested all those teams in yards/play. If MSU lost any of those games they would have been kicking themselves for making dumb game-changing mistakes or not capitalizing enough on their ball movement and stout defense.

Against Oregon, they controlled the entire game at the LOS and let OU back into by getting conservative on offense at the end.

Michigan State did NOT outplay Michigan in the trenches - go look up your stats again - Michigan had more rushing yards.

I'm hardly a troll as I don't think it's appropriate to come on an opponent's message board and trash them.

I think most posters here have shown general respect for MSU this year, particularly Dantonio. I think it says a lot about the majority of "Michigan Men".

I will approach this game with my Sparties the way I have all year. With very cautious optimism.

To be sure, they have found ways to win....or not lose....over and over and I think tarun's description is spot on. Say what you will about the Spartan's early games, that UM victory was the real beginning of what this team thought it was possible to accomplish. In my mind, MSU has been playing with the house's money since the Jalen-Watts TD. It's always been Dantonio's way to preach perseverance. Never give up. Never stop playing. It took several years for him to end up with a 100% team of his own that believed that. You long time UM guys know that MSU's biggest weakness was the late meltdown, penalty, turnover...what have you.... that always seemed to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. I started as kid in the Daugherty era (met the guy briefly in my freshman yr at State)....and have endured the Muddy Waters thru JL Smith years. Man...is Dantonio different.

I do not think MSU should beat Alabama. Alabama has more players across a wider swath of positions. But.....Mark Dantonio is a better coach than Nick Saban. MSU players play for MSU and Dantonio and each other. Alabama plays for each other and the team and the school too.....but really that squad is NFL players all over the field and as good as they are...are they as cohesive and selfless and committed as MSU players are? maybe? I'm not sure.

I do not expect the "Tide to Roll". The 1st quarter will decide everything. All MSU has to do (and it's a big job) is to keep "Bama off the board early and/or match them point for point early. Get through the 1st half and make "Bama think..."Oh man, these guys are everything they said they were." All we need is for just a hint...a little bit....of doubt to creep into Bama's brain. Unless the Tide runs up 21 points in the 1st qtr...MSU won't cave. They won't regardless, but if they're getting squashed...well....both sides may let off the gas a little. If MSU is within 2 TDs by the 4th qtr. they will still be in it.

I give my Spartans about a 1:3 chance of victory. If it's close late....I like my chances. If we jump out front and lead I'll be floored. I do not see a Spartan victory being anything other than another last possession make or break series. Bama' is a 9 point favorite. I'll take the Spartans and the points....but that's as confident as I'll be.
Danonio is a better coach than Saban???? Based on what metric?

First things first... Cook will have to get healthy... 90-95% healthy... to beat Alabama

3 weeks to heal up.. he was definitely not close to 100% vs Iowa

I think with a healthy Cook that MSU has a real chance... in a game decided by 6 points or less... anything could happen.. The trenches will be equal... the trenches will be a war

hope that they can keep Bama from getting loose for big throws

O$U was weather related and poor play calling. Ohio would be a threat to win the NC. Sparta will need a lot of luck as Alabama is the better team.

Danonio is a better coach than Saban???? Based on what metric?
Look at Alabama's losses (not many, but 3-4 over the past 3 years) vs. MSU's losses. I would argue Bama's were due to inability to adapt when they are in tight games. The Iron Bowl loss was a huge miscalculation by Saban. Similar to Harbaugh's vs. MSU. The two losses to Ole Miss were about not adjusting. In all those losses Bama' was the way better team.

On the other hand, MSU doesn't lose that way. The Nebraska loss was a bad a referee call and overall the DB's played poorly. The Oregon loss in '14 was Marcus Mariotta all the way. The OSU loss in '14 was too much talent on their side of the ball. MSU's losses were to better overall teams.

MSU beats better teams consistently. Bama' doesn't play better teams very often, but they lose to worse ones every now and then.

I think the way MD coached his team in tight, late, close games was magnificent. Bama' doesn't play many of those kinds of games but when they do they have shown the ability to blink.

MSU's only real shot at beating Saban is to hang tough and keep it close late. MSU won't wilt. Bama' might.

Last edited:
Bama easily wins 34 17 Bama defense and running game

OSU and Iowa statistically have better running games..... MSU held both of those opponents to a COMBINED 148 rushing yards.

Alabama is a one trick pony on offense. If they slow down Henry they will beat Alabama.

I think it will be a lower scoring game. If Cook plays well Alabama goes down.

It will be a LOT closer than the 17 point spread you predict.... SEC frankly isn't all that good and their QB's are nothing to speak about.

Michigan State did NOT outplay Michigan in the trenches - go look up your stats again - Michigan had more rushing yards.

LOL Michigan out rushed MSU by 4 lousy yards. Cook carved up the UM secondary. In total yards MSU wins by a MILE 382-230

Pass blocking in case you weren't aware is also a battle of the trenches

Reactions: Sparty1220
O$U was weather related and poor play calling. Ohio would be a threat to win the NC. Sparta will need a lot of luck as Alabama is the better team.

I actually dont agree with the sentiment that Alabama is the better team.

In my mind this is a pretty simple match up to look at. If Alabama can not run the ball consistently they will not win this game.

If Cook has time to throw Alabama is in trouble.

I think that MSU will shut down Henry.

I think MSU wins a low scoring defensive struggle.

Go to the ND board and talk smack. They are your opponent- you didn't make it to the playoffs this year so stop cuddling up to MSU fans. They r the team that beat you in Columbus. Didn't your QB have a DUI prior to that game. So many distractions like there became in Gainsville

I actually dont agree with the sentiment that Alabama is the better team.

In my mind this is a pretty simple match up to look at. If Alabama can not run the ball consistently they will not win this game.

If Cook has time to throw Alabama is in trouble.

I think that MSU will shut down Henry.

I think MSU wins a low scoring defensive struggle.
That is why people bet on the games. Different opinions. I like Alabama to win it all.

Go to the ND board and talk smack. They are your opponent- you didn't make it to the playoffs this year so stop cuddling up to MSU fans. They r the team that beat you in Columbus. Didn't your QB have a DUI prior to that game. So many distractions like there became in Gainsville

DUI had little to do with OSU loss to MSU. At least it fared far back in the reasons to OSU coaches playing an overly conservative game and not adjusting to what MSU did (nice article about it by Rivals) and possibly Elliott being in the hospital for three days of that week due to an infection.

Regarding MSU, on paper it looks like a fairy easy win for Alabama. But sometimes the luck just rolls for a team and the more talented team makes the mistake of,taking their opponent too lightly.

It reminds me of the last time Dantonio found himself in a National Championship Game. In 2002 when OSU beat Miami.

I think MSU has a good chance beat Alabama, however, they will need to play a nearly perfect game to do so. Alabama's defensive front are ALL (7/8 of them) future NFL players. In fact, their defense is future NFL players. They are really deep and are huge, physical and very fast. Alabama plays the same type of smash mouth football like MSU. The Alabama WR's will also challenge the Spartans secondary which is clearly a weakness for them. Had Iowa stretched the field earlier as evidenced late in the game then they may have won. However, MSU can stop Alabama's ground attack. Something that no one is talking about is the fact that Alabama's defense is tops in the nation for bringing pressure packages on opposing QB's and for winning 3rd down. Cook was pressured by Iowa very well and he did not look so good. I remember Cook also getting hammered by Michigan's pressure as well. If the Spartans can run the ball well and force Alabama to try to win with its passing game then they have a great chance to win what I think will be a close ballgame anyways. Likewise, if Cook can hit 12-15 yard underneath routes before laying on his back then the Spartans will be in business. Slinging it downfield to Burbridge won't cut it against this group. The passing game has to be quick and deliberate. Alabama has about 5 Calhoun's up front when it comes to pressure. This is Saban's last ballyhoo at Alabama. Losing Kirby Smart and others around him is going to hurt his program. Kirby was with with him at LSU and Miami as well. Saban knows this so I think Alabama will be focused and will leave no stone unturned in their preparation. They were embarrassed last year by Ohio State and the whole Big Ten football thing. Saban knows this is his final chance to reign another title into Tuscaloosa. There are even retirement rumors swirling about right now. Whoever wins this game will hand it to either Oklahoma or Clemson (I think Oklahoma) in the final game. Those teams can't take the physical punishment of Bama or MSU. On another note, I'm sure that Saban will work with the Tide's punt team and the punter before this game. I'm sure he does not want to be leading 23-21 with 9 seconds left and his punter drop the ball and then throw it into the hands of a Spartan as both sets of fans are exiting the stadium. He would lose his final chance at another NC and Moo U fans will claim forever that Dantonio had that schemed up the entire time and it was his coaching that beat Bama.

Last edited:
No
I think MSU has a good chance beat Alabama, however, they will need to play a nearly perfect game to do so. Alabama's defensive front are ALL (7/8 of them) future NFL players. In fact, their defense is future NFL players. They are really deep and are huge, physical and very fast. Alabama plays the same type of smash mouth football like MSU. The Alabama WR's will also challenge the Spartans secondary which is clearly a weakness for them. Had Iowa stretched the field earlier as evidenced late in the game then they may have won. However, MSU can stop Alabama's ground attack. Something that no one is talking about is the fact that Alabama's defense is tops in the nation for bringing pressure packages on opposing QB's and for winning 3rd down. Cook was pressured by Iowa very well and he did not look so good. I remember Cook also getting hammered by Michigan's pressure as well. If the Spartans can run the ball well and force Alabama to try to win with its passing game then they have a great chance to win what I think will be a close ballgame anyways. Likewise, if Cook can hit 12-15 yard underneath routes before laying on his back then the Spartans will be in business. Slinging it downfield to Burbridge won't cut it against this group. The passing game has to be quick and deliberate. Alabama has about 5 Calhoun's up front when it comes to pressure. This is Saban's last ballyhoo at Alabama. Losing Kirby Smart and others around him is going to hurt his program. Kirby was with with him at LSU and Miami as well. Saban knows this so I think Alabama will be focused and will leave no stone unturned in their preparation. They were embarrassed last year by Ohio State and the whole Big Ten football thing. Saban knows this is his final chance to reign another title into Tuscaloosa. There are even retirement rumors swirling about right now. Whoever wins this game will hand it to either Oklahoma or Clemson (I think Oklahoma) in the final game. Those teams can't take the physical punishment of Bama or MSU. On another note, I'm sure that Saban will work with the Tide's punt team and the punter before this game. I'm sure he does not want to be leading 23-21 with 9 seconds left and his punter drop the ball and then throw it into the hands of a Spartan as both sets of fans are exiting the stadium. He would lose his final chance at another NC and Moo U fans will claim forever that Dantonio had that schemed up the entire time and it was his coaching that beat Bama.
No problem with your take. Bama' should win based on talent level across the board.
I say MSU leads in coaching and team attitude. Again, MSU just needs to stay close and have the ball last. Bama's Achilles Heel is maintaining poise late. MSU has demonstrated that they can handle it. I like msu's chances if they get Bama' thinking, "Oh, oh. Here they come." In the last 2 minutes

Winner of this game should be favored in the Final.

I have to disagree with the coaching edge. Nick Saban has won multiple national titles at Alabama, LSU and coached in the NFL albeit not very well. Harbaugh is one of few who has been successful at both levels. Also Dantonio himself coached under Saban and they did at good job at MSU while they were there. Also, Kirby Smart has been with him the entire time and is an excellent DC. You can have Lane Kiffin

How good of a chance is it really if they have to play near perfectly? - lol

I think they have a chance to win IF they can run the ball enough to not be one dimensional and force Bama to pass the ball more than they would like. I don't see it happening though.

Last edited:
LOL Michigan out rushed MSU by 4 lousy yards. Cook carved up the UM secondary. In total yards MSU wins by a MILE 382-230

Pass blocking in case you weren't aware is also a battle of the trenches

I wouldn't call 18/39 pass completions carving up... And UM enjoyed a huge yardage advantage in special teams yardage (+200) which put us on shorter fields and MSU on longer fields more often than not. That give a little clear picture of the game. Even with that, MSU won because of a miracle play..

Grow up

I believe luck is when preparation meets opportunity. Whether it is a bad punt, playing in bad weather, a sustained late drive MSU seemed prepared for what ever came along. Cook must be healthy for MSU to have a chance of winning. MSU and Alabama both have the same strengths in line play, both O and D. They both run the ball as a major part of their offenses. Alabama does have the weaker QB and he tends to under throw his receivers. The Alabama receivers are deeper in talent than the MSU group, but can Coker get them the ball. I think it will be one heck of a game and a do not miss game to watch.

So the weather worked against OSU but not MSU? Did it stop raining when MSU had the ball? Game was on field turf not grass. OSU lost because they couldn't run the ball against MSU. They are a run first pass second team as UM found out a week later.

This game will be over at halftime, bama's def,is way to good for sparty to handle.Don't forget what bama did to mich and nd a couple yrs back, this is going to be a replay of those game's, the closet sparty gets is at the coin toss.

I don't think this Bama team has the dynamic athletes on offense that it has in the past. Michigan State needs to make it a fourth quarter game, if that happens, I like their chances.

So the weather worked against OSU but not MSU? Did it stop raining when MSU had the ball? Game was on field turf not grass. OSU lost because they couldn't run the ball against MSU. They are a run first pass second team as UM found out a week later.

The only effect the weather had on the OSU staff is they went into a shell for reasons I will never understand. They threw out the game plan and just froze up with some of the worst play calling I have ever seen out of a top end coaching staff.

Again who call s 5 straight QB runs... not zone reads but pure straight up QB runs.... who does that??????

The only effect the weather had on the OSU staff is they went into a shell for reasons I will never understand. They threw out the game plan and just froze up with some of the worst play calling I have ever seen out of a top end coaching staff.

Again who call s 5 straight QB runs... not zone reads but pure straight up QB runs.... who does that??????

OSU's staff was scared of the "No Fly Zone." :)

Last edited:

Good post.

You might want to look at OSU's 2002 national championship team as possibly the best comparison to this year's MSU team. That OSU team won seven games by seven points or less. It had a good O, but not quite as good as MSU's O. And it had a very good D. For the season, much better than MSU's, but if you look at just the last four games MSU played, its D is very comparable to the 2002 OSU D. Getting HIcks back a CB, and moving Cox back to safety has allowed MSU's D to play more like a typical MSU D.

As for MSU's good fortune this year, well, there is no such thing as a perfect game. Receivers drop balls. Teams block punts and return them for TD's. DB's trip and allow a receivers to score easy TD's. QB's miss open throws. I could go on and on. There are mistakes and missed plays in virtually every single game.

One last point. For a good portion of the season, MSU was a banged up as I've ever seen that team. Yet MSU continued to win. That's depth and mental toughness. BTW, all those young guys that were forced to play will make MSU that much stronger next season.

This game will be over at halftime, bama's def,is way to good for sparty to handle.Don't forget what bama did to mich and nd a couple yrs back, this is going to be a replay of those game's, the closet sparty gets is at the coin toss.
Give me a break. Only one or two Bama games have been over at half time and they have been against the little sisters of the poor and not Power Five 1 loss conference champions. Bama is one dimensional. A runner like EzE hurts MSU much more than a down hill runner like Henry. Henry is a load but he doesn't have explosive cuts that make you miss. He will be kept inside the tackles which fares well for MSU. This is going to be a close game. I'm sure Bama was supposed to blow out OSU last year too according to this board. We get it....the only time a Big Ten team will have a chance against Bama is when it's UM playing them. I can't wait to hear the rationale and justification for those bold predictions if it ever comes to pass.

Reactions: JRMSU
I never said UM, would beat bama or any sec team. I said bama is going to hang one on sparty, and I really think they will, Have a good day.

No, OSU ran it's O. Hell, as a percent of the plays run, OSU passed the ball more in the MSU game than it did in the UM game. OSU's read option, the offense it's run all season, was ineffective v MSU because MSU was destroying OSU at the line of scrimmage. Now we can argue that OSU didn't have a plan B when plan A wasn't working.

Something that no one is talking about is the fact that Alabama's defense is tops in the nation for bringing pressure packages on opposing QB's and for winning 3rd down. Cook was pressured by Iowa very well and he did not look so good. I remember Cook also getting hammered by Michigan's pressure as well.

Connor Cook's QB rating when blitzed is 128.6. He has 16t ds and 1 int against the blitz this year. He thrives when people bring pressure. I think he struggles a lot more when people play defense like Iowa did (rush 4, man under, 2 deep).

Connor Cook's QB rating when blitzed is 128.6. He has 16t ds and 1 int against the blitz this year. He thrives when people bring pressure. I think he struggles a lot more when people play defense like Iowa did (rush 4, man under, 2 deep).
It will be a long night if "Bama can get into Cook's grill with just their front 4. MSU will have to make some running room if they play straight up 4 on 5. Add Pendleton in there and it's 4 on 6. Gotta make those Backers think. Run? Pass? I expect MSU will try a lot of different approaches, play action, wheel routes, bubble screens, end arounds...whatever to get "Bama's front 4 to move around. Create some creases, gaps.
If "Bama can play their D straight up...Spartans are going to struggle.

Still think MSU can cover the spread, but win? Maybe 1 in 3 shot.

Well he sure didn't thrive against Iowa or Michigan under pressure. He looked quite bad throwing off of his heels while scrambling. He did a great job handing off though. Can you post the link on these QB ratings. I would like to know these stats and who is providing them.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT