ADVERTISEMENT

Michigan St, Wisconsin, and a rumour

Bob Miller

All-American
Jun 25, 2001
Both Michigan St. and Wisconsin took it on the chin last night, by Minnesota and Penn State respectively, in their Big Ten home openers. I'm expecting the BTHC to be 'Upset Central' this season due to a relatively even level of strength among the league members.

I heard, from a source who is well-connected in such matters, that spiraling travel costs could lead to a shuffle of teams between conferences as soon as this off-season. I'd be surprised if it happened that soon, but believe the landscape of college hockey is ripe for change as the Arizona's make their entrance and less financially strong teams try to hang on.

No kidding re travel costs

I've been waiting for some of these conferences to implode due to travel costs (and time) given how spread out they are. Particularly the "new" WCHA - schools like BG, Ferris, Lake State just aren't bringing in enough revenue from hockey to support the travel costs for the trips to the far-flung conference schools. It was different when they were in the old CCHA where the travel was largely 1 to 4 hour bus rides. In the NCHC, Miami and Western have a lot of long trips as well although their programs (at least Miami's) are probably on better financial footing than the WCHA teams.

Expansion- my brother is involved with a rink for a Pacific NW school, or more correctly, it's city.

He seems to think that there are a lot of schools out west (ok, not a lot, but enough to make a conference).. that want to add college hockey. The idea is to have a west coast conference that includes the Alaska teams. Not sure how serious they all are, but they want to.

The other idea- to make the WCHA more regional- which should keep the travel costs down.

Based on the support that he's getting, I doubt anything will happen there for quite a few years. But the model that they are looking at is an off campus site so that adult beverages can be served. As it stands now, the club team for the school makes money for the rink just because of that.

Where I see this all fall apart is that one of the schools he's working with (and in-state rival) is actually rather underwater as it is with massive spending on the FB program.

So it seems some want to try at the same time that others struggle mightily.

NCHC v WCHA- funny about that- for the most part, the NCHC has been a nice bust (much like the B1G has), whereas the WCHA is doing really well. Especially when one factors in the budgets. Maybe the WCHA schools knew something more than just getting bigger. ;)

I went to the Badger game tonight and there is just not a lot to like there. I know they're young, but honestly, I couldn't tell you who is supposed to eventually be good on that team. (Like, you can tell Werenski oozes talent. Nothing like that.)

They just have nothing offensively. They turn it over in their own end like we do, but don't have the 4+ gpg offense with it. Rumpel will probably steal a couple for them, but it's probably not going to get a lot better for them. And yet I'm sure we'll lose 1 or 2 in that building because it's my personal house of horrors. I hate the Kohl Center.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

It is tough to count on one hand the number of impact Seniors in the Big 10.
MN - Rau, Warning
MIchigan - Hyman
MSU - Berry
OSU - Fritz
PSU - Holstrom (25 in April)
Wisconsin - Rumpel

About one per team, limited impact from the upperclassmen across the league.

Generally, impact players don't make it to their senior year. It's the way of college hockey, for better or for worse.

Originally posted by Bob Miller:
Both Michigan St. and Wisconsin took it on the chin last night, by Minnesota and Penn State respectively, in their Big Ten home openers. I'm expecting the BTHC to be 'Upset Central' this season due to a relatively even level of strength among the league members.

I heard, from a source who is well-connected in such matters, that spiraling travel costs could lead to a shuffle of teams between conferences as soon as this off-season. I'd be surprised if it happened that soon, but believe the landscape of college hockey is ripe for change as the Arizona's make their entrance and less financially strong teams try to hang on.
Then MSU actually plays well the next night and manages a SO win against Minnesota.

The Spartan Natives are getting restless.

Badgers lost 4-1 to USA tonight and only put up like 18 shots. Can't play the "too young" card when you lose to 17 year olds, albeit talented ones. Matthews had a pair of goals.

If we don't get at least 3 wins and a tie against Wisco that's a failure. That team is abysmal.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT