ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Michigan Observations From Pylon 7v7 Jacksonville

EJ Holland

Recruiting Monkey
Apr 25, 2019
Chicago
*** I made my way out to Jacksonville today for the Pylon 7v7 tournament on Saturday and had a chance to get an updated look at 2022 Rivals250 Port Arthur (Texas) Memorial cornerback Jaylon Guilbeau. The Texas commit recently picked up a Michigan offer and would be quite the steal for the Wolverines. I've seen Guilbeau live in the past, but today, I really honed in on him, and he passed the test. Guilbeau played one of the slot corner positions, but his length and versatility could see him move all over the secondary. He's long and quick for his size, but what really stands out is his build and physicality. Guilbeau has defined tone and is aggressive in man, but he also has the patience and technique to make plays on the ball — he had several pass breakups. Guilbeau also brings a 'dog mentality' and would provide a different kind of swagger at a place like Michigan.

*** Guilbeau was one of the top overall prospects at the event along with teammate Sherrod Covil. The three-star 2022 safety from Chesapeake (Va.) Oscar Smith was recently re-offered by the new Michigan defensive staff and established himself as an alpha dog early on. Covil has a compact, muscular build with terrific downhill speed. He covers a lot of space and has elite instincts on the back end to go along with a super high football IQ. His ability to bait and make plays on the ball, including interceptions in back-to-back games really caught my attention. Covil has had a strong offseason, earning top honors at The Show camp in Florida and also having a strong day at the UA Camp in Delaware, where I saw him for the first time. I definitely think he's a four-star level player. He's undervalued by both recruiting sites.

*** New Michigan safeties coach George Helow has Florida ties and recently offered rising 2022 Auburndale (Fla.) High safety Elijah Davis. A three-star prospect, Davis is just starting to get rolling on the recruiting on the recruiting trail in terms of offers. He is intriguing at 6-foot-1, 160 pounds. The length is there as are the ball skills, but he's obviously very skinny and needs to add a lot of weight to his frame. Right now, he's built more like a corner but without the hips and flexibility needed to play the position. Overall, I see Davis as more of a project type with a high ceiling and a low for. Development will be key with him, but there are some traits to like.

*** This was my second time seeing elite 2023 Jacksonville (Fla.) Bartram Trail cornerback Sharif Denson live over the last three weeks — Helow recently offered. Like I mentioned the first time, he’s still growing and developing from a physical standpoint, but I liked the way he used his hands and played in attack mode. His style reminds me a bit of 2021 Michigan signee Ja’Den McBurrows. Like McBurrows, Denson plays with an edge to his game and uses his patience and physicality to win battles. But he also brings adequate speed at the position. With Denson, the biggest thing is continuing to bulk up his frame in the weight room.

*** A few other notes. Elite 2023 Jacksonville (Fla.) Trinity Christian athlete Treyaun Webb was at the event but did not play due to an ankle injury. Helow really likes this kid, and he has interest. I wrote about 2022 Fort Pierce (Fla.) Westwood defensive back James Monds last week. He had an offer from the previous Michigan defensive staff and told me that Helow spoke to him. However, a source told me that Helow has not been in contact. I'm just going to put this kid on the back burner. Lastly, 2022 Jacksonville (Fla.) Bartram Trail safety Dominick Fields held an offer from the previous staff but has not heard much from Helow.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News