ADVERTISEMENT

Michigan falls to Nebraska

Brock Heilig

Staff Writer
Gold Member
Mar 10, 2022
Going to rant for a minute here. I hate losing games like these. Two runners on base and no outs in the seventh should almost always be a win for any team.

I am a huge fan of the bunt. I think it's one of the smartest plays in baseball/softball. Growing up, I played on a baseball team that bunted ALL THE TIME. I can't even tell you how many games we won thanks to the bunt.

With runners on first and second and nobody out, when all you need is one run to win the game, the batter should bunt almost every time. Bunt the game-winning run to third base. Then, execute a suicide squeeze to win the game. Have the runner from third base break for home on the pitch, and have the batter bunt the ball. It's almost indefensible. You win the game, 2-1, and don't have to worry about extra innings.

I guess there's a reason I'm not coaching either baseball or softball. Hutchins knows a lot more than I do, but there's my pitch to Warde Manuel for when Hutchins retires. Maybe @brandonjustice can give his opinion. What do you all think? Are you all a fan of the bunt, especially in such a critical, late-game situation?

Reactions: orsons
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News